This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rope Climb PE 7

Started by Matt Shortis, January 13, 2017 · 9 Replies · 190 Views

Matt Shortis

When I started the foundations course I took it slow. I'm able to do 18-20 pull ups with good form but couldn't hold the isolations when I was doing my fit test. Now I've been working the negatives but those combined with the mobility for PE7 have been killing my forearms. Is this a pretty standard compensation or might I be doing something wrong with either the pull ups or mobility? 

Everett Carroll

Hey Matt, 

This sounds like your work capacity is the weak link here. Stick with it and your body will adapt to the active recovery and additional time under tension. Post a form check video to be sure but I remember this progression just being flat out tough. 

Matt Shortis

Thank you Everett. I'll next be training this move on Thursday and will post a video then. 

Matt Shortis

Hi Everett. Here is a link for the form check of both work set and mobility set

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Matt,

The only pointer I have for you is to to come to a dead hang at the end of each rep. Even if you have to bend your legs even more, hang as low as possible before jumping back up to the top of the next rep. Otherwise, you'll just need to work on building work capacity :) 

Christian Nogueira

This elements gives a massive forearm burn. It's really more mental than anything though. 

Matt Shortis

Thank you both guys. I know forearm strength and endurance takes quite a while to build. 

Suzanna McGee
On January 20, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Everett Carroll said:

The only pointer I have for you is to to come to a dead hang at the end of each rep.

Everett, just curious… shall we have the thumbs on the same side (like Matt in the video), or opposite side (wrapped around the bar/rings)? I am not at this PE yet, but just wondering generally, and for the future. Does it matter for proper strength building? 

Everett Carroll

I don't think it matters in this case. I find if I wrap my thumbs I get less pumped. 

Kai Ewert

Hm, from the old PE6 (60 s holds) this used to not be a big step up...

And I would suggest, along the lines of Everett's comments, to not neglect the ends of the ROM both at the top (try for chest to bar) and the bottom (to full deadhang) - those are areas where most people are weak