I am 2 weeks into foundations 1 and stretch series. I haven't done much strength training with weights since I started--maybe 1-2 short sessions. My background is triathlon with normal weekly training 12-16 hrs/wk including swimming/biking/running/biking/weights. So, I am swimming and doing GST (no biking/running) and progressing well, but the workouts are still pretty easy compared to what I am used to. I am fine with how easy the workouts are right now, because I want to be patient in building my base. However, I am 37 yr woman, and I worry about my bones. I know that lifting heavy weights puts enough stress on the bones to help maintain them. So, I am wondering if GST will put enough stress on my bones to build/keep strength or should I include 1-2 heavy weight sessions per week?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Continue strength training with weights?
Started by Valerie Morwood, January 12, 2017 · 6 Replies · 189 Views
HI Valerie, if they are easy you can use the "easy"smiley in order to progress, but knowing from my experience the limitations of the woman in the strength training I think that you will find the PE's very challenging.
Adding weights to the GST it is something we recommend only in an advanced stage.
GST will be by far much more beneficial for your bones, muscles and joints than lifting weights. GST is health in action, so if you are looking for health focus on GST and forget about lifting weights. And yes, GST will put more stress than you can imagine in your body but in a safe and gradual way.
Valerie, 2 weeks into Foundation is not a long time. Even when starting with OLY lifting or weights you start very lightweight and practice technique first.
I can guarantee that GST will challenge you in a different way very soon. I had osteopenia a few years back and after doing GST for two years my bone density improved massively! I've also worked with older clients in their 50s and 60s who had huge benefits in terms of strength and mobility.
As Coach Sommer says: "make haste slowly". That being said I'm always surprised how fast people actually starts to FEEL the difference using GST.
Looking forward to see your progress here
Thanks for the great advice! GST is so much more fun than weights, and now I won't feel guilty for not lifting.
@Valerie Morwood, I am 51 and used to do a lot of weight training. Every day, pretty much. I've been doing Foundation since September, haven't touched the weights in the gym since. And I can tell you, that doing those pretty push-ups and planche leans and ring rows, is much "worse" (aka harder) than any of the gym training I did before. Dragging my heavy body weight around is much harder than the dumbbells. You will like it, you see
awesome! I really enjoy the combination or mobility and strength. I have been frustrated with having to modify squats and other weighted exercises to accommodate my lack of mobility. So, to have a program that forces me to focus on mobility is so much better, especially if I won't have to worry about my losing bone density without the weights.