This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Buckwheat as starches: good or not?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 12, 2017 · 3 Replies · 79 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello guys! I read somewhere that buckwheat should not be considered as a regular grain. So I ask if I could considered it as an ideal source of starches! what are your thoughts about that?

In my country in some markets it is available also pasta 100% made of buckweat. Could it be an option to add on my meals?

Thanks to all guys!

Alessandro

Jeff Serven

It's technically a seed. It's okay

Alessandro Di Sanzo
On 1/13/2017 at 2:00 AM, Jeff Serven said:

It's technically a seed. It's okay

@Jeff Serven, I've found this kind of pasta, which is made of organic buckwheat wholewheat flour and water. It also said that it may contain traces of soy, gluten grains, and sesame. Moreover, considering that it is wholewheat (it may contains anti-nutrients?) I wonder if it is still ok, I have several doubts about that.

 

IMG_20170114_125633.jpg

 

Finally, I wonder if foods made of flour are still considered as the best choice. What I've been doing is to avoid for example pasta made of rice flour. do you suggest to apply the same rule for any kind of flour? Grains (refined or whole) definitely not, but Is there the same issue about rice flour and other types like buckwheat or oats?

 Thanks Jeff and anyone who can clarify this!

Alessandro

Jeff Serven

I think the buckwheat noodles are "decent". Better than wheat noodles, not to sure how to compare them to rice noodles but, Im going to guess buckwheat makes a better noodle. The rice variations often have some additives you don't really want. 

I agree with you, foods made with any type of flour should raise an eyebrow. After all it is just a form of food processing. If they mil it into flour odds are they have to add things so it doesn't go bad or it does go bad and you eat it. lose lose