This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated Seiza:Should the heels actually touch?

Started by Mentor Palokaj, January 12, 2017 · 7 Replies · 261 Views

Mentor Palokaj

Hello all,

In the seiza positions it's often mentioned not to let the heels drift apart. I can't however for the life of me make my heels touch.

I end up using one hand to squeeze my heels together forcefully, but to make this happen I need to readjust my hands every 20 seconds of so which is very fidgety.

Should the heels actually touch, or is it more like they shouldn't drift too far apart?

Jon Douglas

Ideally heels should be touching; lower the hips towards the heels as much as possible while maintaining this. People have also had success using a band around the ankles to keep them together.

Some people's structure won't allow this of course. In that case work towards the ideal position as your physics permit :)

James Hill

I used a yoga strap to keep the heels together for a while which worked to keep me in position. It seems however that the problem for me is not the mobility to get into the position but the strength to hold the heels together so I have since moved on to only lowering as far as I can whilst keeping the heels touching and I am making progress with my ability to hold them together.

Alessandro Mainente

Absolutely yes.

Kevin Easton

I use a stretch strap that I tie around my ankles.  Keeps my heels nice and tight

Malik Blasingame

I sit on a stretch block. This allows me to keep my heels together and I'm able get a deeper stretch in the ankles.

Craig Nelson

Ok, so what's the most effective method? I'm having trouble with this too.

Use something to tie heels together or only lower down far enough to keep them together?

Everett Carroll
10 minutes ago, Craig Nelson said:

only lower down far enough to keep them together?

This is the better option. Reduce the ROM to a point where you can still keep your heels together. Over time you will be able to get deeper into the stretch with them together.