This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder problems

Started by Julian Krimmel, January 5, 2017 · 2 Replies · 144 Views

Julian Krimmel

Hi,

about 15 years ago i got my right shoulder overextended while wrestling. The shoulder was not dislocated, but close to it. Since then I have had trouble with this shoulder. The shoulder feels flimsy and not as stable as the other side. Depending on my fitness level I would notice this more or less. Every once in a while, especially while doing overhand movements, there is tension on the shoulder (e.g. spiking a volleyball at an odd angle, blocking or getting blocked at basketball) and the shoulder almost feels like it snaps in and out of the socket. It is not dislocated, but it is very uncomfortable and bothersome. When I went to the doctor about 10 years ago, he said that there was nothing I could and should really do about it unless i really dislocated my shoulder.

Now to my question/problem. When doing the Thoracic Bridge series there are elements (e.g. Elevated and inverted cat) where I feel that if I would go deeper into the strech that the shoulder would do the small snapping again. I adress this by not going to deep and paying very close attention to the shoulder.

While trying other harder elements (elmements 17-23) it really feels uncomfortable and unstable. I had the snapping (not as bad as it sounds) sensation twice and do not feel safe doing the exercises. I stop the series at element 17 and hope by doing the series up to that point that my shoulder gets better and stronger. Have you had experiences with this and are there additional exercises that could help my recovery. I do the shoulder disloacte exercise from the public mobility forum regulary and think that i targets the right area. In the beginning when I had my hands to close together I would get the snapping/popping in the shoulder. So I scaled back and take my time.

What else can I do and what are your experiences in similar cases with bad shoulders?

Thanks so much for any suggestions

Julian

Alessandro Mainente

HI Julian my personal advice it is to check a specialist and let him/her know about your accidents and the movement you are going to perform now. with some tests he/she can clearly evaluate the level of instability.

Coach Sommer

Hi Julian,

- Where are you in your Foundation HBP training?

- What have you been doing in terms of direct rotator cuff conditioning?

Yours in Fitness

Coach Sommer