This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice required: stuck on ring rows RC/PE2

Started by Kevin Marcotte, January 11, 2017 · 18 Replies · 675 Views

Kevin Marcotte

Hi all,

I've been a member since July 2016 and loving GST. I have a small problem though... I'm stuck on ground rows! RC/PE2. I can't seem to get past 4x9, and have been doing them twice a week since the new interface came live (Sept 2016ish?).

I'd love tips on whether I should just keep going at it, or if there is something else I can try.

In early December I tried doing back to PE1 for a bit (incline rows) and worked back up, and recently I've started adding some isometric chinup holds (RC/PE5) just to try and mix things up.

Advice and feedback greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Kevin,

In this case, I recommend submitting a video of both RC PE 1 and 2 to either Video Review or Foundation One Form Checks. This way we will be able to give you personal feedback rather than general ideas.

PAUL DALY

Kevin, I'm in the same boat (except stuck at 4x6). I also did a regression. 

Following Jeff's suggestion, i'll post a video. 

 

 

Jason Pierce

I have also been stuck on this about as long as Kevin has noted. I find that my outside shoulder (Deltoid) fatigues. Before starting the program I had no issues doing pull ups but the series of row exercises I have found to be a challenge.

Kevin Marcotte

Thanks Jeff,

I'll record a video this week and post it for review.

Kevin

 

Ezra Alexander

Also stuck on 4x12. I can complete the sets if I rest longer than the 1 minute it takes to do the mobility, but otherwise get stuck by third set. Went back to RC 1 but far too easy. Super frustrating to make no progress in over a month. 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Ezra,

I agree with Jeffrey submitting a video for review by one of our coaches will enable us to give you much more individual advice in regards to your problem.

In terms of some general advice one month is not a particularly long time to be stuck on something. You will find throughout your training that it is not a linear process. There will be some exercises that you will progress quickly on and find no problem and there will be some that hold you up for a period. 

There are a number of reasons for this depending on the individual adaptations that your body needs to make to accomodate the new stress. As Coach Sommer says " All you need to do is turn up and do the work" and then allow your body the time it needs to recover.

Pauline Taube

I second Darin, a month is not a long time at all. Remember that you're building you're work capacity in Foundation One and this might take some time. I have been stuck for almost a year on some progressions myself. 

Please take advantage of the Forum and submit videos. It's extremely helpful filming your own training.

Looking forward to see your rows :) 

Leo Trinidad

As Jeffrey, Darin and Pauline said, please utilize the forum for video review/form check for this. Guys, getting stuck is completely normal. When RC|PE1 was hinge rows, I was stuck with it for 6 months as the 6 other elements progressed. Remember that there are 7 elements in foundations and now there is also handstand one, handstand two, stretch series. There is no need for worrying if all the other elements are progressing. :)

Ezra Alexander

Thanks to all (Darin, Pauline and Leo). I will get back to those RC2 with frustration in check, haha. I certainly expected plateaus, but not so early. I will most definitely submit a video for review and keep working at it. Stay tuned :)

Affan Osman

I am stuck on this as well but @ 4x6r. I have started applying "grease the groove" technique and doing a few reps daily as part of daily limber. Together we will overcome :) 

Dorian Brown

Oh boy just be happy you missed out on the pain that was Arch Body Holds, that had people stuck forever. I really like the grease the groove technique and if you're not particularly lean, losing a few pounds can definitely help. 

Chad Moffitt

@Affan Osman and @Dorian Brown How's grease the groove gone for you guys? Have you been doing that for long? Noticed and gains from it?

I tried grease the groove a bit, but I'm only able to get to the gym once in a day, so it's probably not really how it should be done.

Alessandro Mainente

HI guys, how many times are you training in a week?

Dorian Brown
24 minutes ago, Chad Moffitt said:

@Affan Osman and @Dorian Brown How's grease the groove gone for you guys? Have you been doing that for long? Noticed and gains from it?

I tried grease the groove a bit, but I'm only able to get to the gym once in a day, so it's probably not really how it should be done.

I've been doing it for Fl progressions and it's been going well. I have as stuck on 4x48 for a while and about 1 week of grease the groove got me to 4x60 which I have been working for 2 weeks or so. Work capacity take some time to develop though.

Benjamin Renaud

Anyone ever try backing up a few steps to build momentum? Like back up to step 5 or 6 to get to step 9 a few workouts later? It's a technique I used before GST. Varying the load/volume, kind of like a deload, waving the load. Used to work well with some exercises.

Affan Osman

@Chad Moffitt I have started grease the groove about 10 days back and only do few reps per day. Seems to be working  for me as I was able to do 4x6r which was an improvement from previous attempts. Although I am not moving forward yet as last few reps were not clean 

@Alessandro Mainente I do f7 twice per week. I did step down to f7 once per week for over a month but felt like I was stuck. So now back up to twice per week.

Alessandro Mainente

This can be the solution, please keep us updated on the progress.

Artur Krajewski

I am not sure if it will help you, but some time ago I heard someone mentioning how much concentration during exercise helps in progressing.

I found that it really helps to just squeze whole body and try to pull yourself up as fast as possible(even if actual movement will not be very fast) while holding grip as hard as I can. Sometimes I really think that I cannot do any more reps, but then I do this "trick" to get the last one with good form.