I sorta invented this exercise, and I challenge you to it!

Started by Neal Winkler, January 30, 2010 · 5 Replies · 2,717 Views

Neal Winkler

Ok, so I sorta invented an exercise (so far as I know). Before I show it to you, let me explain how I came to realize this could be done.

Firstly, I seen this video of Scott Sonnen doing this exercise:

gAY-LQcsOg4

When I seen this, I realized that if you hold the middle portion, this would be a good static abdominal exercise. Then I thought to myself that if you hold this middle position and extend your arms straight out, it would be like doing a bodyweight Pallof Press. A pallof press is an exercise that trains rotational stability.

wADXK_0_Gx8

Here's me doing an easy version of this.

NIKv9g6NnM4

I can't extend my arms because its too hard. In the video I am on my knees like a easy side plank. I envision that someday I will be able to hold this position on my feet (like a regular side plank) and then extend my arms out for reps or time.

So, that is my challenge to you! Have your feet planted on the ground like a side plank, and then extend the arms so that the ring stays level at the chest. Can you do it?

Neal Winkler

Dang, sounded like a good idea in my head.

jl5555

It does look like an interesting variation on side plank.

Neal Winkler

Well, don't just look at what I am doing. What I want is to straighten out my arms from that position, but I can't right now because it's too hard. Have your tried it? Can you do it?

Seiji

Man, that's hard.

I can get 4 or 5 inches away from my chest, but I have to move my top leg or else I just fall over from lack of balance.

Neal Winkler

On your knees or your feet?