This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPLPE1 form check with wall push up

Started by Chris Harvey, January 9, 2017 · 3 Replies · 68 Views

Chris Harvey

Hi all,

Please check my sPLPE1 form and wall push up, the reason I upload wall push up is because I want to ask for advice on my scapula problem. I have few questions.

1. I cannot breath smoothly, which make the exercise uncomfortable, whats the problem?

2. What tempo should I use? I use fast tempo when I go up, because I think if I do not go fast, my scapula would not be able to protract fully

3. My right scapula tends to move upward, which should not be correct ( I have winged unstable right scapula for long time)

4 When I go down, sometimes right scapula seems to not retract

5. I feel my shoulders bear uneven force between left shoulders and right shoulders. I do not know how to explain.

Thanks all!

 

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Chris Harvey said:

1. I cannot breath smoothly, which make the exercise uncomfortable, whats the problem?

This may take some practice to get better at. Try to keep the motion fluid and steady in both directions. I notice that you go slow on the way down and explode back to the top. Keep the tempo equal for both protraction and retraction. 

 

1 hour ago, Chris Harvey said:

2. What tempo should I use? I use fast tempo when I go up, because I think if I do not go fast, my scapula would not be able to protract fully

Use the tempo of the follow along videos. Your protraction will improve with time. Don't rely on momentum to try and achieve more. 

 

1 hour ago, Chris Harvey said:

3. My right scapula tends to move upward, which should not be correct ( I have winged unstable right scapula for long time)

A physio may have other exercises to help with the scapular winging. Performing these in the mirror may help you control them better and even them out. 

 

1 hour ago, Chris Harvey said:

4 When I go down, sometimes right scapula seems to not retract

5. I feel my shoulders bear uneven force between left shoulders and right shoulders. I do not know how to explain.

Focus on keeping completely locked elbows. With some patient practice, many of these imbalances should correct. 

For some extra practice before and after your Upper Body workout, try some sets kneeling, focusing on your imbalances. Do your best to move and weight the sides evenly. 

Chris Harvey
On 2017/1/10 at 2:56 AM, Everett Carroll said:

This may take some practice to get better at. Try to keep the motion fluid and steady in both directions. I notice that you go slow on the way down and explode back to the top. Keep the tempo equal for both protraction and retraction. 

 

Use the tempo of the follow along videos. Your protraction will improve with time. Don't rely on momentum to try and achieve more. 

 

A physio may have other exercises to help with the scapular winging. Performing these in the mirror may help you control them better and even them out. 

 

Focus on keeping completely locked elbows. With some patient practice, many of these imbalances should correct. 

For some extra practice before and after your Upper Body workout, try some sets kneeling, focusing on your imbalances. Do your best to move and weight the sides evenly. 

1. Would you please explain more on motion fluid? This may be useful for me because I often feel hard to breath. I have google this term but I cannot find anything. 

Everett Carroll

Sure thing: I mean practice moving more steadily. Go down into retraction at the same speed that you press up into protraction. Keep an even tempo and maintain control in both directions.