This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

knee pain

Started by Christopher Jackson, January 9, 2017 · 9 Replies · 101 Views

Christopher Jackson

I was going to see my doc about this by I thought I would throw it out there.

I have been getting a pretty significant pop in my right inside knee, actually since starting the front split series a few months ago.  Sometimes it comes with pain, usually when my knee is fully bent.  Pushing my feet in during butterflies hurt the most.

I don't notice it in most of my daily activities.  In GST I feel it in deck squats unless I get it just right.  I've decided to go back to the regular squat and work on foot position there.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Tanya Hill

Hi Christopher, 

The first rule Coach Sommer has to training is never work through pain. When you feel the pain your body is telling you your not quite ready to go that far. 

For us to give you the best feedback seeing a video of your squat would be hugely beneficial.

You mentioned you are on the deck squats, so I assume you are working through the Foundation One course. How was PE1 and 2 for you with the assisted squats?

Looking forward to your video Christopher. Definitely keep us in touch with your training we are here to help. Most likely its a mobility issue but don't quote me on that until I see a video. 

Luke Searra

Christopher please don't hesitate to post your video so we can help you train pain free

Christopher Jackson

Thanks for the replies.  I'll post a video soon.  What I'm finding on the squats is that I have to really work to push the knees out in order to avoid the pop.  Otherwise, I've done a lot of squatting and it really isn't a challenge.  I'm going to use the time to work on good form and depth.

Tanya Hill

Thats great Christopher. What may be happening is the knee is not properly lined up, so when its out of alignment it gives pain. 

How are your quads? Silly question! But them being tight may also affect the knee. 

Christopher Jackson

My quads are tight.  The front stretch series has been humbling in that regard but I'm still working through it.

As I said, this issue started when I started the stretch series.  I might have over done it early on.

Again, it's not always pain.  There is a pop, and sometimes pain.  The pain goes away very fast though. 

Tanya Hill

Good to know Christopher, take is slow and never work through pain. Definitely looking forward to seeing you videos. 

Christopher Jackson

Here's the squat:

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Christopher, 

I suggest consulting with a physio about this. The only suggestions I have for your squat are to try and remain more upright and avoid pain completely. A physio will be able to pinpoint the exact problem and help you correct it. Behind a monitor it is impossible to diagnose.

Christopher Jackson

Thanks Everett.  That's my plan.  This was the first time I have ever videoed myself.  It's really helpful.  I should have done it ages ago.