This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

About Oats: some questions

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 9, 2017 · 4 Replies · 129 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello GB Thrive Community and happy new year! 

During these days I was asking myself a few questions about oats.

In the Carbs 101 lesson it is said that rolled oats are a great source of carbs. More specifically I read that they own a good amount of starches (correct me if I'm wrong). So I should considered them just like the other amounts of starches I've been assuming (rice, squashes, potatoes)?I have doubts about this.

Moreover, In the past I've always found them as a good choice commonly assumed on breakfast (e.g. coupled with milk). But carbs are not required to be assumed at this day time. So I've never considered to add them on breakfast...but neither on lunch and dinner.

Are all my considerations above correct?

On this basis would you suggest some good ideas in order to add them while being adherent to the ideal nutritional behaviour?:lol:

Thanks to all!

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo

:)

I'm going to look at some tasty recipes... if you have some suggestions, I will glad to read them! 

 

Julia Quigley

I'be enjoyed cooked oats with milk, cream, or half n' half as my lunch starch or dinner starch! I've seen savory recipes for oatmeal online, but haven't tried any of them yet. Report back if you find a good one!

Bryce Hewett

I originally was going to add them as part of my "dessert" (as in having oats with mixed berries and/or a banana all mixed together with cinnamon) a few hours before bed since they can supposedly help you sleep, but today I've been thinking about just doing this as a snack between lunch and dinner. I work evenings so usually am not getting dinner until 7+ hours after lunch, PLUS I workout right before work so some oats and fruit seem like a great post-workout snack (don't tell Jeff, but I also mix in some chocolate whey protein powder, too... :ph34r:)

Jared Birbeck

I love oats as my afternoon 'snack'. oats and yoghurt and cinnamon  as it is too long otherwise between meals for me