This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dropping MN and SL because of back pain?

Started by Jo Christian Weldingh, January 9, 2017 · 3 Replies · 194 Views

Jo Christian Weldingh

Hi.

I have been doing the GB foundations for a year and because of a pre-exisiting slipped disc in my lower back, I have been struggling with the MN and SL progressions.

I have been doing two days with core and two with upper body, but now I'm thinking about dropping the MN and SL progressions for a while, since they seem to make the pain worse., and do three days with upper body + FL. I'm also planning to focus more on the stretching courses (TB and FS) to increase my mobility in the progressions I'm struggling with.

Will the lack of MN and SL training do much harm to my progress in the other progressions?

Alessandro Mainente

Absolutely yes, without MN you will never pass the pre reqs for the future HBP development and for the muscle up development, SL will increase the shoulders stabilization of both arms and also helps the planche and front lever when you work on the specific elements.

Coach Sommer
13 hours ago, Jo Christian Weldingh said:

Hi.

I have been doing the GB foundations for a year and because of a pre-exisiting slipped disc in my lower back, I have been struggling with the MN and SL progressions.

I have been doing two days with core and two with upper body, but now I'm thinking about dropping the MN and SL progressions for a while, since they seem to make the pain worse., and do three days with upper body + FL. I'm also planning to focus more on the stretching courses (TB and FS) to increase my mobility in the progressions I'm struggling with.

Will the lack of MN and SL training do much harm to my progress in the other progressions?

Hello Jo Christian,

Yes, removing MN & SL work will definitely have a serious impact on your future training.

However that is not really the primary issue here.  The primary issue is that you have a slipped disc, which may or may not be a permanent problem, that you are learning how to deal with and train around.    

To that end, I agree with your initial thoughts; if it hurts, discontinue those elements - at least temporarily and see if the additional mobility work from TB & FS (which you should already be training!) will bring relief.

Is this optimal?  No.  Is it realistic?  Absolutely.

Don't allow this perceived personal limitation to bring you down.  We all have issues that we are dealing with.  The key is to put our best foot forward, deal with the hand of cards that we have been dealt and do the best that we can.  Besides - it's the only game in town!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jo Christian Weldingh
18 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Jo Christian,

Yes, removing MN & SL work will definitely have a serious impact on your future training.

However that is not really the primary issue here.  The primary issue is that you have a slipped disc, which may or may not be a permanent problem, that you are learning how to deal with and train around.    

To that end, I agree with your initial thoughts; if it hurts, discontinue those elements - at least temporarily and see if the additional mobility work from TB & FS (which you should already be training!) will bring relief.

Is this optimal?  No.  Is it realistic?  Absolutely.

Don't allow this perceived personal limitation to bring you down.  We all have issues that we are dealing with.  The key is to put our best foot forward, deal with the hand of cards that we have been dealt and do the best that we can.  Besides - it's the only game in town!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for the extensive and well-thought-out reply, coach.

I have decided to keep doing the progressions I'm struggling with, but take a couple of steps back. I might add some extra resistance, like ankle weights or something like that. Hopefully the extra mobility work will help me progress without the pain in time.

Again, thank you.