This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Daily maintenance stretching

Started by Benjamin Cipperley Cipperley, January 8, 2017 · 4 Replies · 311 Views

Benjamin Cipperley Cipperley

I have been doing the GB Stretch series for about six weeks and am seeing awesome results.  Should I be doing any maintenance stretching or daily mobility to complement the once per week schedule for each of the three courses?  Some of the Foundations exercises have direct correlation with elements of the stretch courses that could be beneficial for me (i.e. additional calf stretching to improve full squat progression (SLS PE3)), but I do not want to overdo anything.  Also, are there recommended pre-hab exercises for running, biking, swimming, etc. that others have successfully implemented?

Pauline Taube

Hi Benjamin, 

Happy to hear about your progress!

The daily limbering from the Fundamentals course is great to complement your schedule. You can also pick a few stretches from the series, the stretches you struggle with the most or specific areas you want to focus on. These can be performed daily with less intensity just as limbering. 

Both the Foundation and Stretch courses will help you build a strong balanced body. Many athletes use GST to conditioning their body and improve performance in their sport.

Jon Douglas

I do several ims or stretch series elements in my regular warmup, either because they feel great or because it is a problem area for me. I found it as simple as working from fingers to toes and finding something to work each major movement on each major area. For example shoulders, I will use arm swings, German arm swings, protracted flexion variants, extension variants before getting into some bridge work :)

Benjamin Cipperley Cipperley

Thanks to both of you for the replies.  I will look into the Fundamentals program for the additional work!

 

Jeffrey Mailly

I love the GB programs. 2yrs ago I purchased F1. Life tragedy got in the way after 13 weeks. I restarted 2 weeks ago and added the Stretch series. Benjamin Clipperley's question is one that I came up with almost immediately upon starting. How often can/should we be stretching?

I've seen references to Coach recommending each Stretch session once per week. The FAQ says to stick with once per week for about a month. I believe Coach says to only do intense stretching once per week as in the follow-along videos. But I've seen a number of people on here, including myself, looking for the same advice as Benjamin Clipperley.

As I was writing this I stumbled on the Blog. It has a TON of helpful information and I will be busy reading through it for the next few days lol. Perhaps it needs to be advertised more?