Since i started training HeSPU i've always done them with my feet on a wall for balance. I built up to a point where I can do more than 10 HeSPU, and 2-3 HSPU but i cannot do them without the wall at all. I go into a freestanding Headstand and can push off the ground for a few inches, but then it just stops and if I try to push harder, I lose balance and come down to my frontside. I've tried to do slow negatives for a few sessions, but it did not help much. Its pretty much the same issue here, i lower down with my face about 1-2 inches off the ground, and then my body planche to much. But Freestanding Half ROM HeSPU is no problem. I can do a slow controlled negative bower, and a few seconds straddle planche, so i think planche strength is not really the problem here...
Transitioning from HSPU on Wall to Freestanding
Started by iyaites, January 29, 2010 · 8 Replies · 2,983 Views
Well, you're more advanced than me! If I were in your position, I'd start working the freestanding HSPU on paralletes, and stack books so your head only goes down an inch below your hands. Every month go an inch further down if you're handling the reps easily! It's the same concept Coach uses for partial HeSPU, and I think it will work well for you developing your HSPU for good reps!
In fact, if you don't have shoulder issues I'd say start with the books (or whatever you use) stacked just high enough to let you get 6 or 7 reps. Then start lowering each month!
What's the difference between HeSPU and HSPU?
HeSPU - hands to the level of the head, as would be performed on floor
HSPU - hands to the level of the shoulders, as would be performed on p bars or rings
Hey slizzardman, your advice is good, but i think you misunderstood a little bit my problem!
Problem is, i can NOT do a "dead start" freestanding HEADSTAND PUSHUP, but I can do over 10 of those with my feet on a wall for balance! And even do a few HSPU (with feet on wall). So i should definitely have the strength for it? Thats what i dont understand.
Actually, i found out that if I enter the headstand from tuck planche i can push up. But not if just do a headstand without "tensing up".
Try Gatherings - advanced.
8oiXVBXUMG4
The momentum of the legs helps you helps you get off the ground. As you get stronger, use less help from the legs.
That is weird. Are your hands really close to the wall? Are your wall HeSPU/HSPU stomach to wall?
The gatherings are probably a good stepping stone for you, that's great advice by triangle.
Yeah, I did not think of the gatherings. I tried and it feels so easy
I like the feeling of that exercise.
Try pushing out of a headstand to handstand while elevating your head a few inches.
The reason you can do the HeSPU from tuck planche is you are using the stretch reflex.