This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

120s Squatted Seiza - Stomach Bulge

Started by Mitchell Rabushka, January 6, 2017 · 2 Replies · 144 Views

Mitchell Rabushka

For more than a year I could never quite sit fully upright on my toes with my knees against my chest like the athlete in the picture until today.  For some reason, when I went up today I actually achieved the full upright position just like the athlete in the picture.  I was exhilarated that somehow I got the flexibility to do this.

Then, after 20 sec or so, I suddenly got a knot in my stomach so I lowered my knees to the ground.  I could actually feel the knot with my fingers and it felt like it was protruding from my stomach, but I was too scared to look at it.  I was thinking, great now I got a hernia.

I kept tapping and pushing on the knot and it went away after about 20 seconds.  It's still a smidgen tender in that area, but I don't feel a bulge anymore.  When I lay on my back and raise my legs a few inches off the ground to generate stomach pressure I do not feel any bulges or distentions either.

I did not really feel pressure on my stomach when I was in the full squatted seiza position, the knot just came out of nowhere.  To further test for any possible damage I tried the seiza again in full upright position, this time pulling my stomach muscles in tight and held it for a few seconds without issue.

Has this ever happened to anyone?  Could it just have been a muscle spasm that rest will take care of?  Or is it possible that it is a hernia that should be looked at?

Note to self: Remember to pull my stomach in tight when I do these.

Briac Roquet

I think it's more of a big spasm. I felt something similar once (though at a smaller intensity) at a seminar, when we did the series after Coach murdered our abs. Had never felt that before and never did after, so my tired abs could have been like you not tightening your stomach enough. Rest a bit, and see how it feels next FS session!

Mitchell Rabushka

Ha, so today, a week after my stomach knot incident, I did the Squatted Souza in the fully raised position, knees to chest w/out any issues.  I was careful to pull my stomach in tightly and only did it for 60 sec instead of 120 sec because on the inhale, one or two of my fingers would lift off the floor indicating I still need a smidgen more flexibility to maintain the position for any length of time...didn't want to push it without continuous perfect form after what happened a week ago.

Also, by coincidence I happened to have a general check up at my doctor's office on Monday.  He checked for a hernia and couldn't find one.

So all in all, it probably was a muscle spasm.  Thanks to GB Foundations, Handstands and all three Stretching Series, I'm in pretty good shape and bounced back quickly.