This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thrive Task 2 - breakfast fat

Started by Jeff Donahue, January 5, 2017 · 7 Replies · 245 Views

Jeff Donahue

So quick question - why is there a picture of bacon on my task list for the morning fat task?  Does this mean bacon counts as a healthy fat?

Julia Quigley

I hadn't noticed the bacon picture! Ha. Must have been added after I completed the program. I'm assuming bacon was selected because people associate it with fat and breakfast :) 

To answer your question, bacon counts, though you really want be to sure you're getting the highest quality bacon (pasture raised, allowed to forage, etc.) to get the benefits from the fat. 

If your only option is conventional bacon, you're better off selecting a different fat source. 

Ryan Bailey
11 hours ago, Julia Quigley said:

I hadn't noticed the bacon picture! Ha. Must have been added after I completed the program. I'm assuming bacon was selected because people associate it with fat and breakfast :) 

To answer your question, bacon counts, though you really want be to sure you're getting the highest quality bacon (pasture raised, allowed to forage, etc.) to get the benefits from the fat. 

If your only option is conventional bacon, you're better off selecting a different fat source. 

Well said Julia! Nice.

Ian Hogg

I'm not really a breakfast person so I've been taking a teaspoon/tablespoonful of cold pressed organic coconut oil does this seem reasonable?

Julia Quigley

That's fine for this task, @Ian Hogg!

Ian Hogg

Thanks @Julia Quigley! It's a bit of a strange taste sensation as it liquifies in your mouth but sure it's doing me some good :)

Shari Lawrence

OMG can we really count bacon? I love this program! Not that I eat bacon all the time, but would be great if it was considered a healthy option for breakfast fat. (I get the "humanely raised" pasture roaming kind--mostly meat and with salt but otherwise uncured, if that matters).

Related question: does it matter how it is cooked? I like mine crispy where the fat is nice and brown. Same way I like the fat on a steak. If it isn't browned and salty, then I prefer to trim it off or eat something else. I thought I remembered reading something once about meat cooked too hot having carcinogens or something, wasn't sure if that was the protein or the fat, or if it was even good research.

Pauline Taube

Yes Shari, good quality bacon does count ;) 

You can cook it any way you'd like, what's more important is what you cook it in. Bacon already contains a lot of fat so I would reccomend to fry it in a dry pan or add a little bit of water in the pan :)