This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2+iM Form Check

Started by Trevor Lewis, January 5, 2017 · 8 Replies · 134 Views

Trevor Lewis

I've 'mastered' these as far as sets and reps go, however they are still really shakey and the iM is not quite there yet but loads better than it has been, so looking for pointers on what to fix for both of these. The angle makes it look like the iM was not up to shoulder level though even though it was so I tried to video it at a better angle for that one. I've also been working them alongside some short forearm headstand sets <12s while I work on getting the form for that one down, I figured the extra practice might help make these easier and smooth an eventual transition.

PE + iM

iM at alittle better angle

 

Suzanna McGee

I think the coaches would say that the iM should be shoulder-wide...

Trevor Lewis

Yeah the iM is not quite there yet but it's better than it has been. Just looking for any extra pointers in form if there are any left to catch to help improve it or the PE. Not considering this one mastered until I can do the mobility with 5+lbs and at shoulder width.

Suzanna McGee

I think this iM is different than dislocates… start at shoulder wide and work yourself higher up as you improve. Hope some of the coaches will chirp in here :) 

Trevor Lewis

I've been working on the shoulder extension for a bit now, this is just my current sticking point with it. The thoracic bridge series is helping but my extension is still horrible. Gonna stick with this one as long as I need to. I'm thinking about upping the frequency of my HS workouts just to address the shakiness and the extension better (currently 2x a week t/thr, looking at going MWF)

Trevor Lewis

Any word from the coaches on the PE form?

Brandon Martin

Trevor,  I am having a very slow time with this IM as well (read: about 6 months on it so far).  About 10 weeks ago I started a new tactic with it.  I put my hands as wide as I needed to in order to get to the full 90 degrees.  I then marked my bar (I use a hollow copper pipe) with a permanent marker at the spot where my hands were.  After every set, I add a new line (approx 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick) to each side.  That new line is where I put my hands for the next set.  Thus, in the average 5 set handstand work out, I make about 1/2 to 2/3 inches of progress on each side, or about an .75 to 1.25 inches total.  At the end of the workout, I add another line (and number it) to show where the workout ended.   

I have been pleased with this strategy for three reasons.  First, the results speak for themselves.  In 10 workouts (about 10 weeks) I have gone from a nearly 49 inch grip to a 36.5 inch grip (as measured this morning).  Second, it keeps me honest.  When I start a work out, I know where I finished the last work out, and I know that I am capable of doing at least as much as I did last time.  Finally, its is very motivating to actually see legit, measurable progress from week to week, which helps keep me consistent.  I really wish everything in GB was as easy to measure as this exercise is.  

Hopefully in another 12-16 weeks I will be at shoulder width.  Then I can start adding weight. 

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Trevor, well the PE that you should use as a standard it is the 44 second mark position.

the IM it is good, the lift it is symmetric and this is another good thing. it is time to reduce the hands distance.

Trevor Lewis

Thank you both! Working these again later today so I will try to put both posts to good use. The 44 sec mark is the position that feels the most comfortable to me and less shakiness, I kept thinking I needed to have more pressure on my arms but I will contiue with your instruction @Alessandro Mainente

@Brandon Martin I'd been marking the broom stick I've been using with tape whenever I make more than a knuckle or two's improvement from the last mark. It's taken me awhile to get it as narrow as I am now, any narrower and it starts to feel like Im ripping my shoulders apart trying to lift it above 45 degrees. Focusing on depressing and retracting the scapula before I start has helped tremendously as well. Good luck with your progress! I will definitely give your method a go.