This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Slow improvement in push-ups

Started by Bilal KABBANI, January 4, 2017 · 6 Replies · 297 Views

Bilal KABBANI

I have been stuck on 4 sets of 12 reps in the push ups progression of Foundation One for several weeks and I don't feel it's getting any easier. I always fail the last set. Any advice? It's quite frustration. In general my improvement in upper body is slow. The rope climb progression is also improving very slowly. 

I train 4 times a week but go through the upper body progressions 3 times a week. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Bilal,

Thanks for reaching out.

I would suggest to reduce the frequency of the upper body workouts. Try training upper body progressions twice a week instead, this will allow you to recover better between your sessions.

Please keep us posted :) 

Suzanna McGee

I've been stuck on 4x6r for months :) I am fine-tuning my technique each time. One day, I hope it all clicks in and then I will start moving forward much faster. I am learning patience. Same with the rings… I feel your pain, @Bilal KABBANI...

Josh Earl
2 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I've been stuck on 4x6r for months :) I am fine-tuning my technique each time. One day, I hope it all clicks in and then I will start moving forward much faster. I am learning patience. Same with the rings… I feel your pain, @Bilal KABBANI...

It's so tough to gauge progress sometimes. A small change in your technique can be like "adding 10 lbs. to the bar."

Reps and sets stay the same but you're still getting stronger. 

For me I feel like the push-ups and scap shrugs are mainly building strength in the protraction range of motion--at the very top. I had basically zero strength there before. 

I'm also hoping that things will progress faster once my strength there catches up with the rest of my pushing muscles. :)

Suzanna McGee
20 hours ago, Josh Earl said:

For me I feel like the push-ups and scap shrugs are mainly building strength in the protraction range of motion--at the very top. I had basically zero strength there before. 

I'm also hoping that things will progress faster once my strength there catches up with the rest of my pushing muscles. :)

You are so right… same for me. I never used those muscles before :)  I can see the improvement in my H1 practice, it is getting much stronger there too. So that's why I am not all stressed out about the "stagnation" in push-ups, because I feel I am not stagnating, things are happening deep inside. So I just enjoy the low volume while it lasts :) 

Trevor Lewis

I'm currently working on these again and get stuck going from 4X12 to 4x15, I found going back and redoing the PE1 helpful for working on the tricep strength/endurance for these and have added the incline version back in as a warmup. You could even go back and lower the height of the PE1 to make it more difficult. Lot's of other good suggestions and people with the same problem in this thread with over 18 pages now: 

You are not alone.

Bilal KABBANI

Thanks so much everyone. Really helpful feedback.