I am a beginner. I have terrible mobility. When trying to get into narrow hurdler, I am unable to tuck the contralateral thigh as demonstrated in the video. My torso falls toward the leg I am stretching. What are some scaling options? I have settled on stretching with the contalateral leg extended but I imagine there is a better way.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Narrow hurdler
Started by Jason Hall, January 3, 2017 · 11 Replies · 394 Views
Hi Jason,
Great question. This exercise can be humbeling to begin with. To scale this stretch you can sit on the yoga block/slightly elevated surface instead of elevating your foot. This will help you keep your back straight and it'll be easier to get into apt.
Feel free to post a form check if you'd like some feedback
Hello Jason,
Please check out the technical tips and scaling options section provided with your course.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thank you for both of your responses. I am having difficulty locating technical tips and scaling options for the stretch series. I have been able to follow scaling options easily on the other courses but do not find them when I exit the videos for all of the stretch series. Am I missing something?
Hi Jason,
You'll find the technical tip videos in your Course Library. When you log in to your Dashboard you'll se a sidebar menu in the right corner. Please click on this, then click 'Fitness', you'll get a list of options here. Click on 'Course Library' (below workout history). Now you'll chose your course, in this case 'Stretch', click on Stretch series - Front Split. You'll get two options here if you click 'Front Split' you'll play the full follow along, if you click on Stretch series, the link below it'll show you an individual video of each exercise with technical tip videos.
Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
On 1/6/2017 at 3:12 PM, Pauline Taube said:Hi Jason,
You'll find the technical tip videos in your Course Library. When you log in to your Dashboard you'll se a sidebar menu in the right corner. Please click on this, then click 'Fitness', you'll get a list of options here. Click on 'Course Library' (below workout history). Now you'll chose your course, in this case 'Stretch', click on Stretch series - Front Split. You'll get two options here if you click 'Front Split' you'll play the full follow along, if you click on Stretch series, the link below it'll show you an individual video of each exercise with technical tip videos.
Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
thank you so much. very helpful.
Amazing - I didn't know about this area!
On 1/23/2017 at 1:51 PM, Will Kriski said:Amazing - I didn't know about this area!
Crazy. So much good information in there
Difficult to find the technical section and the scaling and tips - but wow - what a goldmine!!
The technical section and scaling tips are indeed a goldmine! Also don't forget what Everett mentioned, you are always welcome to have your form checked either by posting a video here on the forums or by submitting a video through customer support for a more private option.
I am having a hard time understanding what the point of the narrow hurdler is relative to the subsequent hurdler stretch. The narrow hurdler hamstring aspect of the stretch is extremely easy for me, but I have a hard time sitting upright if just on the floor. I can easily go head to knee on the next hurdler stretch and this one if using a block underneath.
If the point is to eventually be able to sit upright without a block underneath, how will doing this stretch get me there? Are there other stretches I can do to help me with this stretch, or will the later stretches (bent leg glute stretches) help with this?
Hi Nicholas,
Rather than focusing on bringing your head to your knee, aim to lengthen your spine and close the gap between your lower stomach and thighs first. To achieve this, you will need to have a long spine as you fold forward. This is why the block under your butt is important if you are very tight at first. It can help you to sit up taller, achieve ATP, and remain long through your back as you come forward. For many students, tight quad and tibialis muscles can also be a limitation and the block helps to alleviate some of that pressure and intensity. This modification, as well as the other stretches in this series, will eventually increase your flexibility to the point where you can have your foot elevated and perform the stretch properly.