This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL PE:3 Adjustment

Started by Ryan Segervall, January 2, 2017 · 9 Replies · 111 Views

Ryan Segervall

hello, 

I am still recovering from an elbow injury and my elbows cannot handle the load of holding myself up on one arm while preforming the SL PE3 exercise. I can get through the mastery progression of SL PE2 with ease, and was wondering if I could advance on to SL PE3 with a slight adjustment in the form. rather than holding myself up on my hand, I would hold myself on my elbow as seen in SL PE2. here is a quick video to give you guys a visual on what I'm talking about. Let me know (also the form is super rough in this, I will post an actual full session of this exercise later in the week, depending on what you guys sayand )

 

 

Julia Quigley

Doing this on your elbow greatly reduces the ROM of your obliques, so I'd suspect it'd be be better to move on to PE4 for now and return to PE3 when your elbow is healed.

Of course, wait for a coach's direction to be sure, but I received that advice from coaches when I was recovering from a shoulder injury.

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

I say go ahead and move on to PE4 for now. In your core warmup, keep in a set of PE1 or PE2 and a set of this modification. Once you are healed, be sure to return back to this progression and master it. Also, if you haven't already, submit a form check for PE2 to ensure mastery before advancing.

Ryan Segervall
On 1/3/2017 at 9:18 AM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Ryan,

I say go ahead and move on to PE4 for now. In your core warmup, keep in a set of PE1 or PE2 and a set of this modification. Once you are healed, be sure to return back to this progression and master it. Also, if you haven't already, submit a form check for PE2 to ensure mastery before advancing.

^ Above is my mastery set of SL PE2 5x10rps. Let me know if this is sufficient enough to progress onwards to PE4 as discussed above. 

Ryan Segervall
On 1/3/2017 at 9:18 AM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Ryan,

I say go ahead and move on to PE4 for now. In your core warmup, keep in a set of PE1 or PE2 and a set of this modification. Once you are healed, be sure to return back to this progression and master it. Also, if you haven't already, submit a form check for PE2 to ensure mastery before advancing.

Also here is a 4x4 of PE4 that I tested out today. Let me know if there is any form issues/adjustments I should make. 

- Also note that in future training session I use my phone as a timer to make sure my rest periods are not too long. Here I was trying to count in my head so the rest is likely too long and varies from set to set. 

Everett Carroll

Hey Ryan,

I'm glad you submitted your PE2 as there are a few things you can improve upon and it is worth revisiting and re-mastering. Here are my suggestions for the PE:

-Focus on more rotation through your torso. Keep you elbow pulled back behind your ear. This will force you to twist more in order to touch the floor with your elbow. 

For the iM:

-Don't be afraid to exaggerate the circle even more. As you move backwards, open your chest, pull your shoulders back, and look up, arching the whole spine. As you come forward, flex your spine forward. Push your hips out strongly as you pass through the sides. 

Keep working on this one and continue to form check! Keep at it. 

Ryan Segervall
On 1/10/2017 at 8:30 AM, Everett Carroll said:

-Focus on more rotation through your torso. Keep you elbow pulled back behind your ear. This will force you to twist more in order to touch the floor with your elbow. 

For the iM:

-Don't be afraid to exaggerate the circle even more. As you move backwards, open your chest, pull your shoulders back, and look up, arching the whole spine. As you come forward, flex your spine forward. Push your hips out strongly as you pass through the sides. 

Keep working on this one and continue to form check! Keep at it. 

- Hey Everett,

This is me attempting  a mastery set with the form cues you suggested last week.  

 - felt a stronger contraction in the obliques when using proper form (elbow in line with ear the whole time).   I tried my best to keep this form throughout the sets  and really emphasize big rotation throughout the trunk

- In terms of  intensity the set was relatively easy for me, but want to make sure my form is up to standards before moving on. 

For the IM  I  try my best to do as told,  bringing more spinal flexion and extension into the hip rotations

 

 let me know you think,  and thanks again for all the help :) 

Everett Carroll

Looks MUCH better Ryan. Excellent job! Nothing to fix here so if you re-mastered with this form then go ahead and advance. 

Ryan Segervall
25 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Looks MUCH better Ryan. Excellent job! Nothing to fix here so if you re-mastered with this form then go ahead and advance. 

Awesome! I will advance onwards to PE4 as discussed earlier 

Greg White

Nice beats in the background! :)