This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

If youre gonna roll the toes: dont roll big toe in, roll little toe out

Started by Jonas Berglund, January 2, 2017 · 14 Replies · 228 Views

Jonas Berglund

When going in to Pancake walks, mr.Sommer point out "If youre gonna roll the toes: dont roll big toe in, roll little toe out". Im not sure if I understand what he means. Would appreciate some help to get that part understood. 

 

I assume this is correct for all the toepoint exercises by the way?

Thank you

Mikkel Ravn

He means that you should externally rotate the femur, so that the foot swivels with the little toe leading.

Everett Carroll

Hey Jonas,

Like Mikkel said, keep your knees facing the ceiling at least. Don't let them roll in towards each other.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If you were to roll your feet, roll them away from each other and not towards each other; and, like Everett said be sure to keep your knees towards the ceiling (so, straight up and down). 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Mmm, sorry guys but this let me very confused... So Coach says is better to rotate the femur externally than internally while in pancake?? But aren t we supossed to have neutral like you say knee facing the ceiling? I haverealized that my right leg is always externally rotated probably to tight piriformis so while doing pancake work is always externally rotated unless I do a tremendous effort to keep it straight. Should I work on keeping the knee facing the ceiling or can I let it rotated as it is natural for me (I even walk like this)?? Thanks in advance!

Everett Carroll

Can you please post a photo of your natural position?

Antonio Alías Montoya

Sorry, I just took the picture but can t upload it because I am on holidays in Zanzibar, Africa, and the Internet is extremely bad, so I will post it the 9th of January when I ll be back home! Thanks for your interest and sorry for the inconvenience!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 hours ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

Sorry, I just took the picture but can t upload it because I am on holidays in Zanzibar, Africa, and the Internet is extremely bad, so I will post it the 9th of January when I ll be back home! Thanks for your interest and sorry for the inconvenience!

 

Dude you're in Zanzibar? Why are you even on the forums, man. Go enjoy Stone Town and drink a Tusker for me. Do some pushups, rows, hollow holds, and squats and be done with it. That place is pristine. You can train after vacay, as well as figure out what is meant by rolling the toes. 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Yes, haha, is a very nice place when you get used to the hot, humidity and life here. Actually I trained today for the first time because I was feeling too tired with this weather... but my wife is working here and sometimes I have some free time in the room so I just check a little bit the forum for fun. I ll drink something for you, a tusker or similar!

Suzanna McGee
5 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

You can train after vacay, as well as figure out what is meant by rolling the toes. 

Ha ha… see, excellence doesn't take vacation  ;-) ;-) ;-)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
44 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Ha ha… see, excellence doesn't take vacation  ;-) ;-) ;-)

Psshhh. It does if you're in Africa.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Antonio Alías Montoya said:

Yes, haha, is a very nice place when you get used to the hot, humidity and life here. Actually I trained today for the first time because I was feeling too tired with this weather... but my wife is working here and sometimes I have some free time in the room so I just check a little bit the forum for fun. I ll drink something for you, a tusker or similar!

Haha,  I miss it over there. Used to live in Rwanda for four years. Enjoy.

Antonio Alías Montoya
On 3/1/2017 at 6:43 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Can you please post a photo of your natural position?

Hi again! Back from holidays!

Sorry for the delay Everett. Here are the pictures of my always externally rotated right leg, when walking, running or doing pancake stretches. Any tip would be appreciated.

DSC00114.JPG

DSC00115.JPG

Everett Carroll

Hey Antonio,

The way your legs are rotated in the photo in fine for pancake. What you want to avoid is turning them in the opposite way of what you show in these photos. 

Antonio Alías Montoya

Thanks Everett!