This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip rotation

Started by Nathaniel McAdoo, January 1, 2017 · 4 Replies · 124 Views

Nathaniel McAdoo

Currently I am going through the foundation series and I was curious about something. What hip rotation should I be focusing on during the pike, jefferson curl, and manna. Previously I have tried external rotation but that doesn't feel quite right and videos of jefferson curls show knees drifting apart (internal rotation) at the bottom. Should I be creating "torque" by slight internal rotation? I would love to have Coach Sommer's opinion on this. 

Alessandro Mainente

The level of internal rotation it is variable from person to person and it's depends on the hip structure, ankle structure and knee structure. usually I prefer neutral position where all the legs are fixed like to parallel lines.

Nathaniel McAdoo
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The level of internal rotation it is variable from person to person and it's depends on the hip structure, ankle structure and knee structure. usually I prefer neutral position where all the legs are fixed like to parallel lines.

But it is internal rotation?

Guido Franchetti

I think Nathaniel refers to an "isometric" external/internal rotation: the feet do not move, but the rotators muscles are engaged as if one were trying to twist the floor - at least this is how is described in Starret stuff.

Personally (but I am a total beginner) I am not trying to apply any torque (btw, I hate Starret made-to-impress terminology) in the elements mentioned, but I am experimenting with it in the pushups and plank elements and it seems helpful (at least in the plank, not sure about the pushup).

17 hours ago, Nathaniel McAdoo said:

Currently I am going through the foundation series and I was curious about something. What hip rotation should I be focusing on during the pike, jefferson curl, and manna. Previously I have tried external rotation but that doesn't feel quite right and videos of jefferson curls show knees drifting apart (internal rotation) at the bottom. Should I be creating "torque" by slight internal rotation? I would love to have Coach Sommer's opinion on this. 

If anything, isn't knees drifting apart external rotation of the hip?

Alessandro Mainente

Slightly, the main factor in the pike it is heels and toes touching.