This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

2017 Front Split Progress Updates - GB Community

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 30, 2016 · 50 Replies · 2,261 Views

Valerie Morwood

How long do you hold those positions on the days when you are not doing the actual stretch series? 

Coach makes a note of saying in each of the videos that they are to be done once a week, and if you do more, your progress will be stalled or even regress. I have always been a more is better person, but have exercised extreme self-control is only doing them once a week, and made great progress in 1.5 month. Have you progressed faster/better since adding the extra stretching?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 2/11/2017 at 0:02 PM, Valerie Morwood said:

How long do you hold those positions on the days when you are not doing the actual stretch series? 

Coach makes a note of saying in each of the videos that they are to be done once a week, and if you do more, your progress will be stalled or even regress. I have always been a more is better person, but have exercised extreme self-control is only doing them once a week, and made great progress in 1.5 month. Have you progressed faster/better since adding the extra stretching?

You misunderstood what was written. The question was whether people hold the end positions: front split, middle split, pancake, etc. I'm not doing multiple sessions of the stretch series but a minute or so of the "front split," "middle split," and (what I can manage of a bridge) position after each workout. I also throw in some other essential positions: the seizas, the frog positions, and the cat positions. So all told that might be 10-15 minutes and with the intention being only to limber and calm the CNS after a workout.

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi & thank you all for replying. You've inspired me to add some split practice into my life after the front stretch series.

Valerie Morwood
13 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

You misunderstood what was written. The question was whether people hold the end positions: front split, middle split, pancake, etc. I'm not doing multiple sessions of the stretch series but a minute or so of the "front split," "middle split," and (what I can manage of a bridge) position after each workout. I also throw in some other essential positions: the seizas, the frog positions, and the cat positions. So all told that might be 10-15 minutes and with the intention being only to limber and calm the CNS after a workout.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying--those are good ideas.

 

Affan Osman

You guys really inspire me! When I started this series few months back I could not even touch my toes! Still lots of work to do but I am excited for the rest of the year :)

 

IMG_4407.PNG

IMG_4406.PNG

IMG_4405.PNG

IMG_4404.PNG

Barry Johnston

I sill have a very very long journey ahead of me, but I have also come a very long way since it started. Looking forward to the road ahead!

IMG_7701.thumb.PNG.bb20a4e2b6a8c110e084b5244c726190.PNG

Stephen Thayer

I've been doing FS and MS for 3 months. I've been frustrated with the slow progress, but who knows where I'll be in a year. 

IMG_4794.thumb.JPG.09ce7ecab773fe134afefb6988e92a41.JPG

Ryan Reynolds

Wow last week of June, hope everyone's training is going well.  Only 27 more stretch sessions until the after 2017 / before 2018 progress photos.  

Mark Schoenhard
2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Wow last week of June, hope everyone's training is going well.  Only 27 more stretch sessions until the after 2017 / before 2018 progress photos.  

Only.

Paul Wallbridge

I'm getting, just working on getting head to toes now!

IMG_0186.thumb.JPG.55edfa871348a598e26ec01cfbaf9c08.JPG

Joshua Hibbert

I am going to be doing the first front split series of the year and it got me thinking about this thread.  Looking forward to taking a picture to see if there has been any progress.  I haven't really done any tracking of progress over the year so was starting to think I haven't really made any, I think I forgot where I started from.  I will hopefully take a pic later this week.

 

How is everyone else's progress?

Étienne Lajeunesse
5 hours ago, Joshua Hibbert said:

I am going to be doing the first front split series of the year and it got me thinking about this thread.  Looking forward to taking a picture to see if there has been any progress.  I haven't really done any tracking of progress over the year so was starting to think I haven't really made any, I think I forgot where I started from.  I will hopefully take a pic later this week.

 

How is everyone else's progress?

That's a good idea I should be doing too! That's a 2018 resolution ahah

Keep it up :)

Craig Copeland

Grey t-shirt picture is January 7 of 2017. Red t-shirt pic is this morning, January 3, 2018. 

B09FB5BD-C692-424E-92C6-2790955B8323.jpeg

F9100DB0-B6F0-4903-8EAA-E23AAC1FF511.jpeg

Suzanna McGee

wow great progress @Johan Tideland !!!!

Johan Tideland

Thanks @Suzanna McGee!

Craig Copeland

Johan: awesome progress. 

Elias Lehtinen

Nice progress guys! Here are my pics. 

First two are from 1/2017 and last ones are from today.

 

IMG_20170113_205649.thumb.jpg.1b93d89941a88e1866c982e2bc1ef09a.jpg.1e3bddea8668a85a20ad26eeb6b23c7f.jpgIMG_20170113_205735.thumb.jpg.529f0d35349165822f9011d59a1dfb52.jpg.3e4e877840701c1ba02edb56350bf881.jpgIMG_20180104_205911.thumb.jpg.823388152280900877acd0c00ec1d59c.jpgIMG_20180104_210033.thumb.jpg.4000709c921d4b156d6a80dfcf7baf0d.jpg

Joshua Hibbert
On 06/01/2017 at 11:09 AM, Joshua Hibbert said:

Here is my entry for the challenge.  As you can see I have a long way to go but it will be fun to see my progress after a year.

2017-01-04 18.20.19.jpg

Below are my pictures after  my front split stretch session this week.  I can see some progress which is good but I have a long way to go still.  The lower one I am pushing a little more but that’s when I start to lose APT.  Flexibility is the major factor holding me back at the moment.

573682E9-5FEE-4725-BA32-B817B72FD6A3.jpeg

5D0FF1F2-ECB9-4AD7-8467-CBEB87215501.jpeg

Johan Tideland

Good work @Joshua Hibbert!! you will get there eventually, there is hope for tight people! just stay consistent

Jonas Berglund

Thank you for your inspiration everybody.

Here are my standing pike from Apr 2017(black shoes) to Jan 2018.

 

I just started doing jefferson curls 3 weeks ago. Pumped to see what some consistency with this exercise can do for the pike.

 

 

1B926F4F-F25C-4015-8721-29C255D74FA1.jpeg

Ryan Reynolds
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Ryan Reynolds said:

Here we go 2016 after, 2017 before

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

 

2017 After 2018 Before, 34 sessions completed in 2017 66% Compliance.  Not much visible progress but each stretch is easier to get in and out of.  I need to increase compliance and stop fidgeting in the stretch.

 

Tom Durham

I like this idea, as a way of measuring progress. I’ve been doing all 3 stretch series plus F1 more or less weekly since September 17 but have had to scale back to once every fortnight now to accommodate training for the cycling season coming up. 

Anyway, here are my current pike and splits. I’ve tried to keep myself honest and as square as possible on the splits, and maintain APT on the pike, although my spine clearly isn’t very straight!, Any feedback welcome coaches! 4686FD40-C635-45E3-8165-7D1669FEF10B.thumb.jpeg.493df671bd94f3f3f130d19164496fdf.jpegE4936113-FBE2-4F09-A36B-45927853EA8A.thumb.jpeg.f6d29359acbc33ca03de3c7e481a7756.jpegAEAD50AD-BC6B-4404-8B61-97F723B4E7FB.thumb.jpeg.124f4643a0e4d052fe3fdee549ce7f5b.jpeg

Craig Copeland

Time to bump this thread. C’mon people: get your 2019 photos posted. Below are my 2017, ‘18, and ‘19 pics. I had a kidney stone problem last 2 weeks of December which really had my back tight otherwise I think I’d be close to fingers flat on ground  B09FB5BD-C692-424E-92C6-2790955B8323.thumb.jpeg.073ef3f2efbd8fd8aa72cd7a321e5004.jpegF9100DB0-B6F0-4903-8EAA-E23AAC1FF511.thumb.jpeg.100e40b1554483939898e3aaad3f2c0d.jpeg

CB1FD15F-13F5-4A88-89BE-5AF26B30C314.jpeg

Nick Goddard

Hey guys, here’s my current progress with the front split. I’ve always done a bit of stretching over the last 8 or so years (minus time out for an avulsion fracture injury). But have been very much enjoying the balanced structure of GB since October 2017. 

Photos taken today 27th Jan 08.

EBEAE53D-266D-49DD-A41F-F07BBE00EA01.jpeg

857AB931-9FB5-4B68-AD22-317BAE498B2D.jpeg

EDF306CF-A516-4652-9B3C-72993DB1CBB8.jpeg

E6997A91-81DB-4EF4-A188-73CB030280F6.jpeg