This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about stretch series.

Started by Benjamin Wright, December 28, 2016 · 1 Replies · 85 Views

Benjamin Wright

Dear Forum, 

I am in the second week of stretching and generally feel a lot better with more open hips, looser Achilles and stronger adductors. However, in terms of stretching, should in a aiming for as far (as comfortably) possible before grinding for the best connective tissue response. Also, what is the best time to stretch, as my muscles are generally looser and more ready for stretches in the evening. And lastly, I am thinking of doing an online leg stretching class 3 days after the susequent (as in Coach Sommer's recomended schedule) MS and FS as I improve every week but I feel my muscles would benefit more from continued stretching/openness, because I begin to be (or feel anyway) less flexible roughly 4 days after the MS.

Long post I know, but as always I really appreciate the feedback.

Kind regards,

Benjamin

Everett Carroll

Hey Benjamin,

Great questions! You want to keep the intensity of your stretches fairly low. You do not want to be pushing yourself beyond around a 3 or 4 out of 10. Keep it easy and remember that the stretch workouts are all about simply showing up. Progress is made over a long period of time. 

For that reason, I suggest sticking with the 3 stretch workouts once per week for at least another month before adding in additional stretching. Since I haven't seen those other stretch routines you are considering, it is impossible to know for sure if they will be beneficial and how they might impact your progress and recovery. Be careful when adding in extra training. With deep stretching especially, more is not necessarily better. Carefully monitor your recovery and don't add too much too soon.  

I also prefer stretching in the afternoon and evening when my body is warmer. You can always warmup with some easy cardio if you have to stretch in the AM but do what feels best and what works best for your schedule.