This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE14>iM - Help please!

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, December 28, 2016 · 12 Replies · 198 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello guys,

I definitely need your help! This week I started to work on FL/PE14>iM and I tried to to do some reps in order to get confident with this exercise... the result is a complete disaster! :(

Once I tried to lift a leg, even only a little bit,  I lose the low bridge hold and crush on the ground.

I tried to practice several times, this is the more frequent result:

So I can barely lift the right leg only for an istant, then as I lift the left one I completely lose balance and fail.

This is my best attempt.

Maybe I can consider the third rep valid. But I'm not satisfied at all, of course. 

I never had this problem in the previous mobility elements. Basically I have a huge difficulty to hold the position as I lift a leg. 

Where am I wrong? Is it something about feet and/or hands position? I think it is something else...

Could you give some tips, or some exercises in order to build strenght/confidence or something else that allows me to achieve this mobility element?

Any comment will be very appreciated!

Thanks to all!

Alessandro

 

 

 

 

Bas Albinus

@Alessandro I'm curious for a coach's answer to your problem, too.   I've been looking into this progression but I'm not working it yet. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Alessandro Di Sanzo,

May I ask if you are also doing the Thoracic Bridge Stretch Series? If not, please invest on it and incorporate it with your training. It will really help you a lot.

Kai Ewert

Two tips I'd have:

1) maintain a narrow base with the feet and try to have the foot that will remain on the floor at about the center of your body

2) I found that these were more manageable when my head and chest were shifted closer to my hands than what I think I see in your video

You have plenty mobility for the low bridge, I don't think the bridge stretch course is the solution here, it's just the technique of the element. That said, these worked my lower back more than any of the arch up variations...

Everett Carroll
9 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:

I found that these were more manageable when my head and chest were shifted closer to my hands than what I think I see in your video

I second this suggestion.

Also focus on pressing into the floor more (elevating your shoulders). This will make the stretch more intense in our upper back once one leg is lifted but will also help keep you more stable.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

@Kai Ewert @Everett Carroll beautiful tips! I think I know what I have to do now! 

@Leo Trinidad you're right! actually I started only a couple of months ago to work on elevated thoracic bridge. I still Need to learn to perform correctly the next elements covered in the course. I guess I should follow your suggestion! 

I would like to thank you all for your nice suggestions given me during this year! Despite my ACL knee surgery done in the beginning of this year, I achieved great progressions through foundation course (except SLS, of course!). 

Wish you all a Happy New year, GB community! 

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello guys! I tried to follow all of your tips during these weeks. It looks I've achieved some results. Have a look below:

I feel I can do some clean reps, at least I think so! What do you think?? 

Any feedback is welcome! Thank you all guys!

Alessandro

 

Alessandro Mainente

some tips Alessandro:

-do not flare the elbows out, NEVER

-always try to feel the weight on the heel of the supporting leg

-if you feel the body falling it is because feet are too apart or the knee is too forward, in this way all the weight it is assisted by quads, by far weaker than butt muscles.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Nice tips @Alessandro Mainente, as always! Thank you!!

Alessandro

Kai Ewert

great improvement!

And great tips from @Alessandro Mainente! Can you clarify though what constitutes flaring of the elbows? If I look at the course materials for the iM of PE 13 and 14, the athlete's elbows seem to be pretty wide, much wider than their hands...

 

Alessandro Mainente

It means that if you look the bridge not from the side but exactly in front of the head you will see that the elbows are not aligned with the hands ans with the shoulder but they are tilted to the side. if you measure the distance from 

-hand to hand

-shoulder to shoulder

-elbow to elbow

it must be the same. if the last one it is different (clearly different) then they are flared out.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

@Alessandro Mainente in order to check better my form and get what you meant above I tried to record myself from a front view.

I see feet quite close together, and this help me to keep balance... but elbows are not exactly in line with wrists , but they are tilted a bit to the side... I guess this is the issue you talked about!...

So I need to fix this by thinking to get closer my elbows, right?

Thank you Ale!

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

exactly, the fingers direction it is relevant, point them to the shoulder in the starting position.