This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretch series with fused vertebrae

Started by Mathew Simenc, December 27, 2016 · 14 Replies · 289 Views

Mathew Simenc

I have been doing foundation 1 exercises for a few months now and I am interested in starting the stretch and movement series. I have two spinal fusions: my L1-L4 and C4-C6 vertebrae are held together with titanium rods. I was unsure if the Foundation 1 exercises would be feasible or would hurt, but I've been consistent since about August and my body feels so much better! F1 has had a much more positive effect on my back than the exercises prescribed by my physical therapist.

 

I know this isn't the place to get medical advice but this community is familiar with the specific exercises and my doctor is not. I want to know if you think the stretch exercises might be a waste of a purchase (not operating with much of a budget here) because the physical condition of my spine is different than a natural spine where there are functional joints between all the vertebrae.

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Mathew,

This is something I am not qualified to answer since I'm not a medical professional. We do have a few on here that may chime in but a good option is to purchase the stretch courses and then run the exercises of question by your doctor. 

Coach Sommer

Hello Mathew,

Chronic injuries resulting in permanently compromised physical structure change everything.  Especially in your case where the existing damage is so severe.

Rule #1 - NEVER train thru pain.  Always use the minimum range of motion and load while you cautiously explore the new limitations of your body.  The one caveat that must remain ever present in your mind is to do no further damage.  

Rule #2 - See Rule #1.

With patience and an extremely conservative approach, I have seen several people make tremendous strides with serious pre-existing injuries.  There are no guarantees however and be aware that you will never regain full mobility and function back to your pre-injury levels.

The situation is what it is however and as long as you proceed prudently and cautiously while working with your chosen medical professionals you may surprise yourself with what you are able to regain or work around.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mathew Simenc

Thanks guys!

Petra Dvorak

Altough i do not own the stretch series, i would even recommend to keep/become flexible in your hips, as this saves your lower back from excessive movement.

And always follow Coach's Rule #1!

18 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

NEVER train thru pain.  Always use the minimum range of motion and load while you cautiously explore the new limitations of your body.  The one caveat that must remain ever present in your mind is to do no further damage.  

For your cervical spine, i would recommend to stay away from headstands...

Mathew Simenc

Petra, thanks for that suggestion! Based on the descriptions I can find on gymnastic bodies.com, front splits seem like the might be the place to start for me. I'm doubtful my spine could eventually bend in the way shown by the people in the Thoracic Bridge series photos.

 

Question about the middle splits series description: what does "compression" mean in "Build the compression needed for Middle Split, Pancake and Press Handstand and other advanced GST elements."?

Suzanna McGee
58 minutes ago, Mathew Simenc said:

Question about the middle splits series description: what does "compression" mean in "Build the compression needed for Middle Split, Pancake and Press Handstand and other advanced GST elements."?

How close you can bring your upper body to your lower body, pretty much… 

Ryan Bailey

I went into today's Middle Split Stretch session with this topic of spinal fusion in mind. I completed each exercise as if I was taking one of my patients with a spinal fusion through the course with me as part of a physical therapy session. 

(In general, with any mobility or stretching around the fused spine segments, care is taken keeping the possibility of hypermobility immediately above and below the segment in mind at all times. On the other hand, smart stretching of surrounding muscles and tissues, without passively "hanging out" on the fused segment is also necessary and important.)

Here were my thoughts on the Middle split series and spinal fusion:

Most movements are done with erect trunk, working the lower extremities.

All movements are scalable. Modified positions can be found within the course and in the course forum.

Almost all the movements are appropriate with attention to the spinal fusion precautions and as long as one follows Coach's Rule #2 ;).

Mathew Simenc

Ryan that is great thank you so much for the feedback.

Mathew Simenc

Question: Which of the three stretch series best complements foundation 1? How about handstand 1? I'm still working towards mastering PE1s.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
18 minutes ago, Mathew Simenc said:

Question: Which of the three stretch series best complements foundation 1? How about handstand 1? I'm still working towards mastering PE1s.

 

Handstand 1 is good, but given your injuries, I'd be wary of how the first three preparatory elements load the spine. I would say that the stretch series are almost better. Though it is suboptimal, since your predicament with injury sets you back, your shoulders will get a fair amount of training and mobility work from Foundations alone. I would first focus on Foundations 1 and the Front Splits/Middle Split Stretch series (I would go with the front split as a first purchase and middle split if you have the necessary cash flow). Thoracic bridge must just be a no-go and handstand one would be something I would come to later on once you're familiar and comfortable with the other stuff first. Of course, I'm no medical professional nor do I have any professional coaching experience. These are just my observations and two cents, but I hope they help. 

Mathew Simenc

I've been doing HS1/PE1 for as long as I've been doing F1 work (4 mo.) and it seems to be fine, i.e. no pain. Cool, thanks, one for front splits. I imagine it would help with sPL/PE1>iM. Yeah I have a small budget, just one more class makes the most sense right now.

Everett Carroll
20 hours ago, Mathew Simenc said:

Question: Which of the three stretch series best complements foundation 1? How about handstand 1? I'm still working towards mastering PE1s.

Hey Mathew,

Start with Front Split if you can only choose one stretch series for now. When you can, add in the other two courses.

Mathew Simenc

I got the Front Split series. How should I fit it into my workout schedule? I want to try out the HS/F integrated schedule where you do two days/week of all 7 foundation exercises.

Everett Carroll

Hey Mathew,

Fit it in once per week on any day you choose. Coach Sommer recommends performing it on Wednesday after your lower body workout.