This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBPPE1 form check (my scapula cannot protract all the time)

Started by Chris H, December 27, 2016 · 5 Replies · 75 Views

Chris H

Hi all,

I see my scapula fail to protract most of the time, any advice? 

Some glues:

1. I suffered from moderate unstable winged scapula (only the right one), thus unstable right shoulder

2. My right sarrutus anterior is smaller and have poorer activation than the left.

3. My back retractor seems weak

4. I mostly feel my arms working. I have little feel on my chest, especially right chest (I have very uneven chest, right chest is significantly small. Also, both side of my inner chest, seems undeveloped))

 

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Chris H,

Your tempo is very good. On your second video it shows that you are not finishing the movement. You have to completely protract the upper back in the top position of the pushup. As you check your second video (back view) you will see that you did proper protraction on the 5th rep. Make sure all your reps finish on the top position like the 5th rep. Another tip is make sure that you clip your elbows to your lats (this will help you in the later progressions of HBP). Keep working on it. Cat Cow mobility really helps with practicing the protraction.

Chris H

Thanks Leo!:)

The reason I do not protract the upper back in the top position is because I it is ready my maximum range of motion, that means I do not feel I can protract further. In The 5th rep I deliberately round my spine. (btw should I round my spine when I do push up?) How to fix this deficiency? or how to protract more?

i will clip my elbows :) start from now. I thought my elbows are close enough.

Talking about Cat Cow, I have some problem with it because it seems that my spine cannot be rounded enough compare to other people. Will post a video in the future

Leo Trinidad

You did it on your 5th rep so I suggest that you always do it at the top position of your pushup and cat cow. ;) (Yes round your spine = protraction)

Chris H

Thanks Leo,

Do you mean I should round my spine at top position? Or I should round all the time in a push up?

Btw, I am curious why round thoracic spine = protraction of scapula:wacko:. It seems that it is related when doing planche lean. Could you explain further please? 

Everett Carroll

Hey Chris,

As long as you are spreading your shoulder blades apart to the best of your ability at the top of the push-ups, then stick with that. You do not need to be rounding your spine to compensate. Also, you will not be able to maintain that degree of protraction throughout the bent arm portion of the push-up.

Your protraction will improve with time but I do suggest posting a form check of sPL/PE1.