I've been looking into making some ropes for the gym but wasn't very fond of the price of gymnastic ropes online starting at $75 and even way more for the ropes with knots in them@$7/knot. The hardware to hang a rope costs a bit as well besides the fact I don't have access to that tall of a ladder to get up the ceiling (which I really don't want to do anyways). Mainly I just want a bunch of ropes with knots to get our weaker and little kids climbing without having them step on my wrists.
I did see Lincoln B.'s guide on the CrossFitJournal to making a cheap climbing rope in the journal but was told that poly-ropes suck for climbing. Cheap, but slippery. I'm sure if I spliced together a few manilla ropes it would be decent. 3 1/2 inch ropes mebbe.
I found some 3/4" manilla for 63cents/foot @Home Depot which is about twice what it costs online. I brought home about 12 feet and tied it to a dowel that I hang over the door to my attic and it worked ok as a rope to climb. It hurt a bit but was workable. I didn't try using my feet. Bare in mind, I have smaller hands as I'm 5'+.
I brought in the rope, made a knot with an eyehole and threaded it through by hanging it from our High Bar which is around 8 feet high. I had my boys try it and they didn't bother using their feet and it wasn't hurting their hands or being slippery. However, one of my guys has freakish pull strength compared to our other gymnasts though he is only 61lbs@11yo.
I ninja'd some of the girl's pre-teamers, a 5yo, a small 7yo, and another 8-9yo.They didn't have a problem with it either. They could all climb to the top as well. While the 5yo is strong for her age, I wouldn't really consider the 7 or 9yo very strong as I see them struggle during their pullups during conditioning.
My whole point is you could knot this stuff by tying it to your pullup bars and you'd have a serviceable climbing rope for about 7 bucks. Great for those CFKid's classes. It costs $7/knot for knots in a rope tied by most gymnastic suppliers so that generally means it would cost $120-200/rope though they do come with the mounting hardware.
I can hang these from our rings or high bar or set the parallel bars way up or probably hang them from a wall or door mounted bar. I'm imagining having about 5 or 6 with eyelets to just slip the other end through and hang for quick rope climbing for the wee or weak ones.
Honestly, if they can't climb a normal rope without knots, why would I want them to climb very high in the first place. Generally, I only ask that our beginning kids climb half the way up in the first levels to pass Level 1 anyways.
Online I found 1.5" manilla for cut sizes at $1.60/ft http://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3 wfs. A climbing bracket sells online for 10 bucks besides the beam clamp. That's about 20 bucks for a 15' rope, slightly more. Tie your own knots and it'll cost about 25-30 bucks.

