This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Incline row: why we have to rotate the ring outward?

Started by Chris H, December 26, 2016 · 7 Replies · 365 Views

Chris H

Hi all, this is my first day for F1, have tons of questions to ask

Why we have to rotate the ring outward when pulling? Does it matter? (I saw this in tutorial)

Also, I feel my right side of shoulder have the tendency to shrug upward when I pull, I suppose it is wrong?

Moreover, I feel my neck very tired when after I hit about 10 reps. I do not know if it is normal. I am not physically weak since I can do 1 reps of one arm chin up

Tanya Hill

Hi Chris, 

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community, great questions. 

At the bottom of the row the palms face down and as you row, rotate the palms facing you. This targets the inside of the forearm also known as the brachialis. 

A video of your rows would be a great help for the coaches eye. ;) 

Work through your rows at a slow pace and try to keep the right shoulder depressed down as you row. This is very common across the board but is a easy fix specially since you have the awareness already. 

I would like to see the neck position as you row, to better assist you on neck soreness.

Alessandro Mainente

The changing of the grip leads to great stretch and strengthen of the forearm muscles:

-during ascent part your are externally rotating the wrists, this activates the biceps brachii as a flexor and supinator

-during the descent part your are using the brachialis eccentrically , you use the pronator eccentrically and you are stretching more the bicep brachii and its supination fibers.

Ralph Palutke

Why do the following PEs not require full outwards rotation?

Alessandro Mainente

Please refer to the exercise with the PE-X name. do not post course material.

Chris H

Ralph Palutke

I was talking about PE2? Should our palms stop when parallel or rotate all the way in like in PE1?

Tanya Hill

Hi Ralph, 

For PE2 your palms stop when parallel. The rotation that PE1 works on helps prep the elbows and builds forarm strength. Always good to train the wrist in different positions.