This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar

Started by Sarah Wilson, December 24, 2016 · 6 Replies · 292 Views

Sarah Wilson

Hi: I can raise my arms with the bar to about 30% in front of my face before my neck tenses up and everything from my shoulders up starts to hurt. How hard should I push? How do I get my neck to relax? What muscles should I be using?

Everett Carroll

Hi Sarah,

I strongly suggest consulting a physio or other medical professional about this. Behind a monitor, it is impossible to give specific, personalized advice. You can submit a video for review to make sure your execution is correct but with pain and symptoms like that, consulting a medical professional is certainly your best option. 

Patricia Albidrez

If it's ok, I have a different question but same exercise.  I do my workouts in a hotel and I have a TRX that I travel with.  Could I do this exercise with a TRX?

Darin Phoenix

Hi Patricia,

It will not give the same effect as the shoulder flexion is supposed to be done with a weighted bar. Of course if you do not have access to a weighted bar or something similar then you will have to make do with that you have. Try to replicate the movement pattern just understand that it is not going to give you the same results.

Patricia Albidrez

Ok thanks. I don't want to buy more gear but I think I can macgyver something.  I have a stretch strap, a 5 lb hand weight and pvc pipe.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Patricia,

A PVC pipe with the weight hanging on it will work just fine for this exercise.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Sarah can you post a video? how much weight are you using? how much it is the distance of the hands?