Hello: I'm completely baffled as to why Tripod is included in Handstand One for beginners! It is definitely impossible for me. I'm really disappointed there's none of the nice British guy explaining correct form, which would at least get me started. I don't dare try this on my own. My neck and shoulders are way too weak even to attempt it.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Tripod
Started by Sarah Wilson, December 24, 2016 · 4 Replies · 308 Views
Hi Sarah,
We can certainly help you with this progression. Here are some tips and ways to scale:
-Try placing your knees on a stable, elevated surface that is approximately 1-2ft high. Then place your head and hands on the floor in the normal Tripod position. Now place your knees on your arms, one at a time. You should end up in the tripod position. The nice thing about this option is if you place your head and hands close enough to the elevated surface, you can still use your feet/lower legs for support.
-If the first scaling option doesn't feel very comfortable or it is still to demanding to be in the Tripod, you can begin in the same position (knees elevated 1-2ft, hands and head on the floor) and instead of ending up with both knees on your arms, you can essentially walk them back and forth, one at a time. Move your right knee on to your right arm, pause for a moment, and move it back to the elevated surface. Then do the same with the left.
-Be sure as you are trying both of those variations that you are keeping weight spread evenly between all of your points of contact. Don't favor putting too much weight on your head or on the support. Evenly spread weight will prepare you the best for the full Tripod.
-Be sure to use a soft surface, especially for your head.
-Your head placement can have a lot to do with balance and comfortability in this position. A video of your form will help us provide suggestions and ensure you are placing it correctly.
-If you feel like you might flip over onto your back, perform this movement with your back close to a wall. The wall will spot you and prevent you from tipping over.
Please feel free to submit a video these scaling options and attempts at the full Tripod. We are here to help and will be here to see you all the way through mastery! You can do it!
Some other options for you to try:
I've tried using yoga blocks on the side of the head to rest the shoulders on to alleviate some neck concerns and then gradually reduced my dependence on them, or I've even heard of doing them with the shoulders supported on braced chairs (I'd be carefully with this one).
Or alternatively you could start next to a wall with feet towards the wall and walk them up until you are in a sort of tripod L-stand. This really lets you control the amount of weight you stack over your head in a bit more controlled manner like the two progressions Everett mentioned.
So glad I found this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only one who couldn't even do the tripod! Sad thing is that I used to be able to do a full headstand not that many years ago (I am 58). I'm going to try the chair/elevated surface option next time. Some of it is fear factor and getting used to being upside down again. I've never done a handstand in my life so this is certainly going to be a journey.
Hi Laurie,
I highly recommend submitting a form check video. You can do it either through the Forum or through Video Review. Getting personal feedback will help you to improve much quicker.