How to prevent feet falling back to the floor?

Started by Midas, January 26, 2010 · 2 Replies · 3,207 Views

Midas

I practice handstands with my feet against the wall (back facing the wall). When I apply finger tip pressure my feet get away from the wall, but often my feet fall back all the way to the floor... how I can I prevent i.e. correct this? I read some things like applying pressure to the palm of your hand and bending your arms.. I don't really understand this. Can anyone please explain??

Thanks!!

palmcron

My guess would be that you're lacking body-tension.

Have you ever tried a stomach-to-wall handstand? How was that going?

Are you able to balance a frogstand? In my opinion this teaches using the wrists to balance quite well.

Animalonfire

If you have a doorway/hall that's the right size you can be caught in both directions. It's pretty difficult to find an area that fits the bill though.

Your hands might be to close to the wall for your current ability.

I think that applying pressure to the palms is more about taking it off the rest of your hand when keeping it there would cause you to fall onto your stomach.

Bending the arms in my experience only adds the complication of trying to balance whilst pressing back up to a proper HS.

You have nothing to loose and everything(figuratively) to gain by practising stomach to wall as well as back to wall.