This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Headstand form check

Started by Jin Liu, December 22, 2016 · 4 Replies · 83 Views

Jin Liu

I'm very bad at inversion, and had been avoiding it all my life. My struggle for this element in the chronological order: my head's down it's scary, can't get into the position without falling left and right (are ppl laughing at me?), can't remove my feet from the wall, ah my neck hurts, my legs don't listen to me, gotta shift that weight,  just a liiiitttle bit, etc. etc.

Been on this for months now. One day something clicked, and finally got a video that has something watchable (yea i finally got a new phone that can take video that's watchable). How's the alignment? Is there too much shaking in the belly? I still can't get into the position comfortably without a wall close by. Does this affect mastery? Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks for going through the lengthy boring video. I didn't intend for it to be over 1 min. But it usually takes me a while to sorta feel right, and then I try to hold that for as long as I can...

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Jin!

You're doing really good! Keeping your glutes tighter and focusing on more core tension (think hollow body) will really help you with stability. It also looks like you are favoring using your head and hands to balance. Think about using your whole forearm to balance instead. 

Jin Liu

I know what you are talking about!! I feel the most comfortable when my weight is shifted into the forearms. But most times I still tend to overbalance, and fall above my head. Then my neck gets sore too, esp. after holding for almost 2 min sometimes. My next step is to keep the weight over my forearms for longer.

Thanks!!

Alessandro Mainente

This is a very good work, if you are flexible consider the idea to use a front spli to reach the handstand. so move one leg ln the handstand position , find the balance and reach with the other.

Jin Liu

Woo that sounds fun. Not sure if i'm that flexible, but will try that. Thanks! :)