This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scheduling Nuances

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 22, 2016 · 5 Replies · 332 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

As life priorities come up, I've had a difficult time comfortably getting in my workouts. I've three days effectively to get in F1, H1, M1, FSs, MSs, and TBs. I currently do 

Monday - Upper, Lower, FSs

Wednesday - Core, HS1/2

Friday - Upper, Lower, MSs

Saturday - M1, Core, HS1/2, TBs

 

Just thought to crowdsource people's ideas. I'd preferably just work M/W/F, but I don't have 2 hours to workout. Thoughts welcome. I know @Alessandro Mainente recommended Upper twice a week, because that works the core indirectly and your legs get worked by walking. So a standalone day for Core works, but in terms of the other stuff (working handstand once-twice) while also getting in all the stretch series and movement has me a little uncertain.

Ryan Bailey

What about,

Monday: AM: Core. PM: Upper, Lower FSs

Tuesday: AM H1, PM H2 (I know you said M,W,F, but this does not take long this way) 

Wednesday: TBs (H1 can also be here with Tuesday off completely).

Thursday: Rest or MSS

Friday: Rest or Movement

Saturday: Rest or Movement.

This leaves you with the success of completing all the courses at least once (early in the week) which is very rewarding knowing you checked off your boxes. If time (and life) allows, or your body craves it, another session could be plugged in somewhere throughout the week. I find sometimes a conservative schedule that allows for the completion of most courses at least once leaves the body wanting more throughout the week. In this case "extra" sessions can be plugged in throughout the week if there is time; and this feels like icing on the cake (rewarding) instead of a schedule that is always hard to barely achieve. 

Just thinking out loud for those moments when life happens but you still want to get some training in.

James Hill
5 hours ago, Ryan Bailey said:

This leaves you with the success of completing all the courses at least once (early in the week) which is very rewarding knowing you checked off your boxes. If time (and life) allows, or your body craves it, another session could be plugged in somewhere throughout the week.

I like the psychology of this, going to try this out. Thanks Ryan.

Alessandro Mainente

When in doubts Daniel look for priiorities, for example:

-along the F1 we have some core exercises and posterior chain stretch so and the end of the session I would add from front split stretch series the hips flexors stretches

-if you are training under the hollow body rocks then it makes sense to add the elevated cat and the inverted cat with swissball to balance the spinal flexion of the hollow body with the extension, and the shoulder extension

- if you are doing legs consider to add at least the butterfly.

- would take these suggestions as the minimum to have some benefits generally. for more specific gain you can cycle the stretch series in 3 weeks, 1 for each week. or you can focus on one goal like the bridge and hold the other at minimum but you need to understand that gains will be slower in other aspects.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Looking at it more, I'm thinking to keep my M/W/F as is and to add in a second Core workout if energized/able onto my Friday workout (so essentially making it an F7 workout) or over the weekend. For now, though, since I haven't yet mastered SLS/PE3 I don't see any ROI for training Movement 1. So I'm going to hold off on that until my squat is more improved. I probably should add in more handstand, but for now I'm not sure where it would fit. Maybe in conjunction with the "second" core workout over the weekend. I'll test it out and see how it goes.

 

I appreciate all your insights though, Ryan and Alessandro. Happy Holidays.

 

Edit: to square things away, I'll likely also throw my TBs session after my Wednesday workout. I missed it this week, but whatever because I still got some extension work in with HS and FL. 

Julia Quigley

@Ryan Bailey, your suggested programming inspired me to change up mine and I LOVE IT. Thank you for suggesting it!

I had been doing pretty much one workout/stretch series a day but would sometimes miss a day, and I had trouble coordinating it with my skill work/circus classs. 

Now I finish F1 and SS by Wednesday. I rest on Thursday because I have two circus classe in the evening, and I hit areas of concern for a second time on Friday. Saturday I rest, and Sunday I do HS training and a circus class. 

It take  a relatively small amount of willpower to push through everything Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, and I feel so accomplished mid week! 

Highly recommend this approach to others.