Can you please give me pointers what to focus on at this point of my practice of PE3? Thank you!
(the cracking sounds is actually my stall bars rung, not me ;-) )
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Suzanna McGee, December 21, 2016 · 9 Replies · 169 Views
Can you please give me pointers what to focus on at this point of my practice of PE3? Thank you!
(the cracking sounds is actually my stall bars rung, not me ;-) )
Hi Suzanna,
Not bad. I recommend slowing down your reps a bit. By doing this, this exercise will become less of a swing/slide and more of a press. This will help you to build the strength necessary to move forward with your press training.
It looks like your hands are not quite level with each other. Try to make sure that you are doing this exercise on two level surfaces. Doing this exercise on 2 chairs might be a good option to consider.
It looks like you're making progress, awesome job!
Thank you @Jeffrey Bittner, I will work on slowing it down to feel the muscles needed for future pressing… the height is almost the same. I had problems to find something. My chairs are too high or rolling ones. Next time I will make sure it is equally high. I turned around each set, so I would train both sides equally with this little height discrepancy.
Smart thinking facing both directions Suzanna
This is a great inspiration for someone like me who can have problems thinking outside of the box sometimes when it comes to "inventing" ways of doing an exercise. I've been pondering this one for a while since I haven't found any appropriate tools in the gym for doing the exercise. Now I'm thinking I'll use the stall bar and my treatment bench at work and put em together sort of like in your video. ![]()
@Jonas Winback, you cannot imagine how much I've been experimenting in the gym with different set ups…. Everything I saw, I was thinking "could I use this for my slide presses?" lol… one set up I used were regular benches and I put some Olympic weights on it (the rubber ones, they are a bit thicker and softer to put my hands on). It worked somehow ok, but the floor was not sliding, with whatever I used.. Maybe that's why I developed this jumping/momentum technique, because I was doing it with my gym shoes and just moving through the benches without touching the floor… (also, this could be a good excuse for me, ha ha, why I am using momentum… rather than facing that I am still not strong enough to go slow ;-) ). Anyway, I think if I fine-tune this set up at home, sliding in socks, it's going to be great… next time I will try my roller-skates on, they are so smooth, no friction, and I will try to go super slow, to figure out what muscles to use when the momentum is taken away
Looking forward to seeing your set up soon.
Roller skates, LOL!:) A bit of innovative thinking and there's no end to the possibilities!
I tried the armrest of a chair and the stall bar, which worked alright, but they weren't exactly the same height. My treatment bench works better than the chair, but then I have to drag it back and forth, but either way at least I got something working now so I can start doing the exercise. Thanks for the inspiration yet again.
Testing it on roller skates to have very little friction so I can slow it down and figure out what muscles to use…
@Jeffrey Bittner, or other coaches, is this slow tempo slow enough and I can keep working on this, just making it better, or is there anything else I should be thinking about. Of course, I plan to get rid of the roller-skates sometimes, when I figure out the right muscle engagement. ![]()
Merry happy holidays to you!!!
Hi Suzanna,
I recommend dropping the level of the hands slightly. By having them at a lower level, you will be forced to compress your body more through the bottom of the movement. This in turn will force you to do more of a press and to rely more on the strength you have built up to this point in your progressions.
Thanks, @Jeffrey Bittner, I will work on that! Merry, happy, strong Christmas to you!