Ring dips uncomfortable?

Started by Rampage, January 25, 2010 · 6 Replies · 3,863 Views

Rampage

I just got my rings yesterday, and I haven´t been able to fully set them up, until tomorrow, but I was able to at least try them out on a door frame, with the Iron Gym thing; I hung them on the bars sticking out to do neutral grip chinups. I couldn´t fully stretch myself, but at least I got a sense of how they feel.

So I tried doing dips, and I could do 2, but it just felt too uncomfortable because my forearms are always touching the straps or the rings, is it always like that? What do you do for this?

I feel tied up up there, they felt better on the PB (dips).

Blairbob

turns the rings out so your palms face forward so your forearms don't rest on the straps.

Joshua Naterman

Part of the problem is the short straps. You'll find that they feel better if you climb a tree and hang them off of a reasonably high branch. You do have to get used to the rings a little, but before you start doing them get used to the supports for a while.

And yes, your forearms will be touching the rings, there's not much of any way to avoid that. It shouldn't be a problem that interferes with the dips, chances are that you are just not used to the rings. When there's good weather here, maybe in a few days, I'll go out to my long rings and make a dip video.

Rampage
Blairbob said:
turns the rings out so your palms face forward so your forearms don't rest on the straps.

How do you do this? :?:

Rampage
slizzardman said:
Part of the problem is the short straps. You'll find that they feel better if you climb a tree and hang them off of a reasonably high branch. You do have to get used to the rings a little, but before you start doing them get used to the supports for a while.

And yes, your forearms will be touching the rings, there's not much of any way to avoid that. It shouldn't be a problem that interferes with the dips, chances are that you are just not used to the rings. When there's good weather here, maybe in a few days, I'll go out to my long rings and make a dip video.

Yeah, I think that, more than anything it's just that I haven't gotten used to them, and I still don't have the strength to hold myself easily, because I've seen some videos of ring dips and they seem to do them fairly comfortable and alright.

I can't believe how long it's taking to call the guy who will put something on the garage ceiling from which I'll be able to hang the rings of; I'm staying at my aunt's place here, and I don't want to bother her too much or tell her to hurry, so it's not like if I were with my parents where I can push them and tell them to hurry up lol.

Rampage

You know what, scratch that; I think it's mostly the height like you said, because right now I have to really tuck my legs and bend my head to get an almost full ROM dip, so it's very uncomfortable.

What about width?

Joshua Naterman

Don't mess with width for a while, at least until you have a solid 30 second wide RTO ring support. When you increase the width you DRASTICALLY increase the difficulty of whatever you try to do! I use that technique for developing support and dip strength in different planes, but I am careful with it. I have started actually marking where I put the rings so that I can stay consistent. Once I tried putting them 48 inches apart and I couldn't even hold myself up, much less try to do any dips or anything.

Sounds like the height is definitely messing with you. Once you've got your rings hanging in the garage you'll be loving it! In the meantime, just keep doing what you can. How are you feeling with your training?