Hi: I've done the Fundamentals course and now I'm on to Foundation 1. Strangely enough, the part I have the most trouble with is Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar. Basically the moment my arms approach pulling even with my head, I get an instant headache, and going behind my head at all only makes it worse. I have had long term difficulty with shoulder strength (not from injury but I think from too many years of reading and bad posture) so I'm not quite sure how to start undoing the damage (and not having tons of headaches in the process). Do you have any idea what triggers the pain? It's a tension headache right across the front of my forehead. What can I do to avoid the pain and build the strength I need? Thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Static Seated Shoulder Flexion with Weighted Bar
Started by Sarah Wilson, December 18, 2016 · 5 Replies · 279 Views
HI Sarah the seated shoulder flexion it is A Handstand one exercise. what you are experimenting can be many things, too weak trapns or nerve pinching. have you considered to check a physio?
I've seen tons of physical therapists over the past 15 years and none of them have helped the problem, which is one of the reasons I've decided to try this course! I think the issue is the weakness of my traps. The question is how do I strengthen them best?
Hi Sarah,
The Foundation One, Handstand Courses, and Thoracic Bridge Stretch Course are all very trap intensive. Behind a monitor there is no way to be sure what your specific issue is or if these courses may resolve it. A good chiropractor or sports physiotherapist is still worth seeking. Good physios exist and are really helpful when it comes to things like this. Those headches do not sound like fun so I sincerely hope you find a solution soon.
Hello Sarah,
This is most likely due to very weak traps compounded by an extremely tight neck/shoulder girdle. The solution is to significantly step off the intensity of your integrated mobility work and assume a more gradual approach. Basically if it hurts or results in the beginnings of a headache either your range of motion, the load you are using, or both are too much.
In addition, it is time to begin stretching that concrete shoulder girdle of yours! Sounds like the Thoracic Bridge series is in your future. ![]()
When using the thoracic bridge series, do not feel that you need to immediately complete the entire sequence. Begin gently and stop early. And scale down, scale down, scale down ... especially in the beginning. Focus on regaining full scapular function and mobility rather than raw strength. The point here is to give your tissues sufficient time to remodel. As your mobility and strength improve, you can then go deeper into the series.
Also be sure to always post review videos to ensure that your technique and execution are correct.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks a lot. It's really hard to know when to push and when to ease off. I'm seeing the biggest change in scapular shrugs--realizing that I never moved those muscles and had no idea how to. It's beginning to make sense, but I've got a long way to go!