This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE2 Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 17, 2016 · 13 Replies · 265 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

This is my first go at this quite formidable exercise. I work compression drills after my core workouts (bent straddle extensions, straddle wipers, straddle circles, straddle extension iso holds), let me know what else needs to be focused on. Cheers. I'm using 5lbs. on the Jefferson Curls. 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

The compression showed at the first reps it is good BUT you need to lock completely the knees.

Also during the JC the weight must be held closer to the legs as much as possible and you move it away only when you need to pass under feet level. the process it is valid also for the ascent part.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Will do. I'll work on mastering this step with knees locked then and also work on getting closer to my legs with the Jefferson Curls. I was playing with these previously, and when I went to close my legs while tucking my chin, it put too much pressure on my traps, and I had a neck ache the neck day.  Clearly, hands flush with the thighs is essential, so I just need to work on opening up my spine. I noticed that the MSs was a little easier today after doing some extra sets of Jefferson Curls and Stiff Leg Windmills that were a little heavier (10lbs and slowly going to work up to about 20lbs or so). So, at least I know it's working, even if it's slow. I'm fine with that. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm still working on mastering these. I have a hard time balancing on the crash mats when doing Jefferson curls, but aside from that how is it looking? Both the PE and iM. I'm also concurrently working straddle lifts.

Andrew Long

Why do we need to hold the weight as close to our legs as possible when doing the jefferson curls?

Jon Douglas

To keep the path of the weight as vertical as possible, both to work on the compression and to protect the spine :)

Andrew Long

My question should have been, are we meant to engage the shoulders to pull the weight into the body or are we meant to keep them relaxed.  keeping them relaxed would move the weight naturally away from the body as we curl.  this would be reduced slightly when we shift our hips backwards as we lower to maintain balance but it still wouldn't be against the body without pulling it in using the shoulders.

Pauline Taube

Hi Andrew,

Your shoulders should be relaxed. As you roll opp you're supposed to keep a posterior pelvic tilt. Rolling up from the low back first, one vertebrae at a time then through the mid back, upper back and neck at last :) 

Coach Sommer

Hello Andrew,

Do NOT keep the bar as close to the legs as possible.  To do so would require firing the lats.  As Pauline mentioned, the lats should not be strongly engaged.

As Jon advised, rather than pulling the bar inward, relax the arms and focus on maintaining a vertical bar path.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Andrew Long

That's exactly what I've been doing but I thought it best to double check as alessandro and Jon implied otherwise.  Will continue doing what I'm doing then, cheers =).

PAUL DALY

I have very tight calves and hams. .  . I can't do this exercise yet with perfectly straight legs. I'm working on the mobility there but it's going to be a a while. 

Any suggestions? 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Paul,

Jefferson curls are great for hamstrings and calves. Are you doing the Stretch series? If you're really tight I would recommend to supplement your Foundation training with the Front Split course. In order to improve the straddle position you'll also need to work on hip mobility, the Middle Split course focus on hips and adductors :)

Bas Albinus

@Daniel Taylor-Shaut I didn't see anybody replying to your form check question so just wanted to give you my 2 cents: Nice job curling your spine on the im! I think you should move as close to the edge with your toes as possible (get a harder surface to stand on?!), so you can keep the weight going in a straight line and press forward with your hips. 
At the top of the movement I also roll my shoulders back a bit, but I'm not sure it's mandatory - I just like the feeling of good posture and engaging/stretching the traps throughout the motion.
I recognized you're going light on the weight. No pressure here and do what feels right.  I think I started with 20lbs and after getting used to the movement slightly increasing the weight helped me get a deeper stretch and more compression.

Your pe looks nice! Good job on sitting up tall and holding at the top. Try to lock out your knees. When going back down I focus on my lower back rolling out one vertebrae at a time and keeping it pressed into the floor when raising the arms overhead. That keeps the abs engaged and reduces lower back issues I used to get from arching.
 

Everett Carroll

Good call Bas and great advice. @Daniel Taylor-Shaut I don't have much to add on top of what Bas mentioned. It is all excellent advice. I don't suggest increasing the weight until you have spent three months on this load. I never suggest increasing Jefferson Curl weight more often than every 12 weeks. 

25 minutes ago, Bas Albinus said:

ovement I also roll my shoulders back a bit, but I'm not sure it's mandatory

I do also find this a nice way to reset as I lift my chin. It also helps ensure your shoulders are relaxed and the bar is hanging low. 

For the PE, keep focusing on straddling wide and keeping tight, straight legs. 

28 minutes ago, Bas Albinus said:

keeping it pressed into the floor when raising the arms overhead.

This will also help with your shoulder flexion.