This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Striking a balance in the band pulls: TBs/SE10 and TBs/SE11

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 16, 2016 · 4 Replies · 118 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm having trouble striking a balance when doing both the prone and supine band pulls, wherein I'm able to be feeling a stretch but not so much that it leads to discomfort.

When doing the supine pulls (face up), I have to keep my arms out wider than shoulder-width or risk imponging my shoulder. This exercise is less an issue because I feel more in control as I round down and up. In the prone version (face down), however, I have a much harder time.

If I use too light a weight: minimal stretch is felt/I don't feel pulled up by the bands, but I also don't feel the beginnings of pressure/impingement. If I increase the weight of the band, however, I find that there is more thoracic stretch and the band pulls me up effectively, but I also end up in a compromising position for my right shoulder as I can't keep it out further/keep it from falling into impingement. Admittedly, my shoulder flexion and flexion strength is not good. I am working on that. But, for the prone pulls, I have a much harder time keeping my arms out wider as is the case with the supine pulls. Wondering what people might suggest? Just using the lighter band, even though the stretch is minimal to none? My thoracic flexibility is VERY lacking. I know this and treat the TBs accordingly (everything is scaled back and progress is slow, but steady, save for this element).

Thoughts welcome. 

This issue was what led me to have problems with HS/PE1-im, too. I've begun adding in bodyline drills (as play) to help remedy this flexion issue, but it's still early days.

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

You don't feel the shoulder discomfort with the lighter band and hands at shoulder width, correct?

If I understood you correctly, then my advice is to work with the lighter band for now to completely avoid the shoulder pain. Until your shoulder flexion improves, you don't need to be lifting up super high either. What I have found with my tighter students is that simply allowing the bands to pull them into a bit more shoulder flexion is enough. Their job focus is on maintaining locked elbows and elevation. This also prevents compensation from the low back.

Allowing shoulder flexion to run the show, especially in the prone variation, keeps these safe and still works the heck out of the traps/upper back. Once shoulder flexion is adequate, you will naturally begin to lift higher and higher. 

This series and the early iM's from Handstand One are exactly what you need to be working on. Please also submit videos and give my suggestion a try. 

Everett Carroll

I'd like to add that, in the prone variation, it really helps to focus on relaxing your lower back in the starting position. That will help you isolate your T-spine and initiate the movement correctly. 

Suzanna McGee

I am following this conversation…. Daniel, I also used to feel a slight discomfort in my shoulders when holding too close. Luckily, my flexion has improved so much now, that last two weeks, I have no discomfort other that my spine is stiff :)   @Everett Carroll, my glutes and lower back are squeezing so hard in this exercise to get more up (which is still very little). Thanks for your tip, I am most probably initiating the movement completely wrong. Will try to relax next time. And maybe have a stronger band. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Oh, my thoracic spine gets it's butt kicked (traps, scaps, etc.) and my lower back is golden. No issues (I used to have a bit too much APT in the ETB and bridge walks, but I've since remedied that). I will try your suggestions, seems logical enough. Should I just start with the lightest weight and then work up until I feel it's becoming uncomfortable and stick with weight a bit lighter than that (basically assessing my upper limit and staying below that...for now).

Absolutely working the HS ims. They're great. It's just taking time for my shoulders to stay in complete flexion and to be shoulder-width, they're not yet comfortable in that position.