This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Focusing on Achilles Stretch

Started by Ted Rarrick, December 15, 2016 · 4 Replies · 127 Views

Ted Rarrick

I brought this up in another post but it was off topic so starting fresh in the correct forum.

I have been having trouble determining where to focus extra effort as my entire body is a mess ( I think I am probably the least limber person on this forum :)). Determining where to focus first has been a real challenge.    I was on the verge of getting really overwhelmed but then found a stretch that got some actual movement.

When I did the FS series last night my calf and achilles felt so good. Felt the same way last week when I did it. Coach had mentioned in the video that the stretch series should be done once a week. However, I am hearing that certain isolated stretches can be done within or after my daily limber or workouts, several times per week.

I'm thinking this is as good a place as any to start . My whole body feels like steel bridge cables that are rusted solid!

Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated. I know I have been asking a lot of newbie questions but this is a new mindset for me and I'm working very hard to make this a permanent lifestyle change. Thanks!

Michael Tolles

Ted

another stretch you can use which will help the Achilles and ham string is a stretch used in yoga called the downward dog. You start by getting in a plank position  and push your butt upwards so your in a semi pike at this point your if your as tight as you say you will be on your toes. Now spread your legs apart and alternate putting pressure on each leg. You will feel this in the Achilles andif you push your chest toward your legs you will feel this in your hamstrings as well and shoulders. This is an Eastport way to stretch with out over doing it, but will definitely work these areas you want. Another one I mentioned in the same post you did will work the hips the knees and the Achilles. Try this I hope this will help 

Michael

Ted Rarrick

Michael - thanks for the great tips for the stretch in this post and the other one you mentioned in the post about the hips. I'll try them out tonight. I'm pretty determined to regain mobility, no matter how long it takes!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ted if you are very limited in the calves limit the additional stretch to the calves. performing the dog pose with your general limitation can leads to sciatic nerve pinching which it is something that you have completely to avoid. If I give the precise suggestion to limit yourself to calves/achiles and I specified the exercises it is exactly for this reason.

I remember to the other students the risk to make suggestion without knowing the actual situation of another student. If you want consider his/situation. they are not allowed to pay for our superficiality. Period.

Ted Rarrick
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Ted if you are very limited in the calves limit the additional stretch to the calves. performing the dog pose with your general limitation can leads to sciatic nerve pinching which it is something that you have completely to avoid. If I give the precise suggestion to limit yourself to calves/achiles and I specified the exercises it is exactly for this reason.

I remember to the other students the risk to make suggestion without knowing the actual situation of another student. If you want consider his/situation. they are not allowed to pay for our superficiality. Period.

Alessandro - thanks again for all the advice you have been giving me. Also, what I am learning is that starting out I need to be very aware of not pushing my stretches too far. Consistent daily application of good form is what I will benefit from the most. I have injured myself many times in the past and have no desire to repeat that.