This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Balance in handstand one PE2 exercise

Started by John Deliyiannis, December 15, 2016 · 3 Replies · 135 Views

John Deliyiannis

I am working on perfecting the PE2 handstand exercise. The problem that I think I have with this exercise is the "balance". But I am not sure if it is a balance thing (so I need to focus on my brain training) or a lack of strength of my core (or some other part). My height is 188cm (approximately 6.2"). When I am trying this exercise, I usually stand for a little bit and then I fall... I can't control the time that I stay, sometimes I stay only for 6 seconds and sometimes I am finding the correct "spot" where I can stay even for 60 seconds. I thought to go back on PE1 but I can do it comfortably up to 3 minutes and I am finding the correct spot everytime.

So, my questions are:
1) Is it a problem of strength or is there a balance "thing"? If it is a strength problem, then I should focus on my core and foundation one?

2) If there is a balance thing, should I just keep doing it until my brain learn to find the correct spot immediately and more often? I was thinking to start doing it on the wall and start slowly bringing my legs away, is it a bad idea? Or is it better to start working it with my legs not fully extended but on the knees (and raising them a little bit each time)?

3) I am trying this exercise every day and I don't fill sore, but is it a bad approach?

 

Tanya Hill

Hi John, 

Thank you for reaching out. For us to assist you to the fullest can you please share of video of yourself doing PE2. ;) 

Making sure the head and hands are in the correct position is a key starting point. The weight distribution in the hands and the head also plays a big role. Scaling back to PE1 is a great idea and work on hovering your knees off your elbows and slowly work to straighten your legs.

Not feeling sore, doesn't always mean you are not getting proper training in.

Keep at it and please share a video, for us to better assist you. 

 

 

John Deliyiannis

Tanya thank you very much for taking the time to give me feedback. I've created some videos with my today's tries:

Attempt #1

Attempt #2

Attempt #3

Attempt #4

More successful attempts:

 

 

 

Tanya Hill

John, 

This is huge help!

Your hand and head placement is a bit off in the first two videos. The hands and head need to be in a triangle shape. The weight distribution should mostly be in the hands.  Slight squeeze in the elbows so your arms are at 90' such as in your attempt #3 where you were able to hold it for a few seconds. 

Slow and with control bring your legs up. Point your toes hard towards the ceiling and squeeze your glutes hard. 

When you are in position, give yourself a body scan. Pressure in the hands, elbows squeezing towards midline, core engaged, butt squeezing, toes pointed to the ceiling. 

Improvements come with failure and consistency. In no time you will be holding your headstand. ;)