This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rest between sets. Again...

Started by Antonio Alías Montoya, December 15, 2016 · 4 Replies · 124 Views

Antonio Alías Montoya

Hello everyone,

I perfectly know that the integrated mobility should be the rest between sets and I read some time ago about this topic in the forum but couldn t find it now. I already understand why it s neccesary to work in this way, but still not sure if what I am doing is right so I d apreciate very much the advice of the experts. 

I don t workout with the follow along videos altought I watch them to check the tempo. I like to work with a little slower tempo when doing my reps, I know this doesn t change the mastery requirements and I make sure to really master each progression although I am working slower. I do this because I need to feel the movement and to perform it correctly. There is an different time needed for me to complete a rep related to my strenght, mobility and how much I am used to the current progression and also to personal preference (I like to feel it, and to be aware). For example I work very slowly Scap Shrugs because my rom is terrible and I try to pinch my scaps togheter without unlocking my elbows. So my first question is if it s right to do this? I guess so and hope so! :)

The second issue it the rest. I have count the time and check that I need 10 minutes to complete an exercise and that I take 1 minute of rest between sets aproximately. Normally the paired mobility takes around 30 seconds aproximately, but you now standing up, starting the moblity and preparing again yourself to start the set it takes you like 45-50 seconds, so I take 10 seconds more to breath and I start. So 1 whole minute in total since you stop the set until you start again the next set is acceptable for mastery? And I really mean just 1 minute.

And my third and last question is that for some progression first I worked on them with a little bit more of rest and when mastered with this extra rest I started working on the same amount of reps (mastery) but without the rest, just the mobility. Is that also acceptable? For me it works really good, because first I learn the movement and I focus on mastering with good form and after that I feel that keeping the right tempo is easy.

So I d like very much to know everyone s approach to rest, mastery, etc and how you work through it, to make sure I am doing it right.

Thanks in advance to everyone! :)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Antonio, for the first question the answer it is that it is better to hold the tempo showed in the video and work on a lower reps schema to refine the technical aspect, then when it is consolidated move on. do not act to variables like tempo or range of motion reduction if you are at the beginning.

second question: yes it is ok, to use as rest the time to move from apparatus to apparatus.

third: I prefer you adjust he number of reps instead of the time of rest.

Antonio Alías Montoya

OK, thanks Alessandro. I just took a look to every follow along video progression and realized I am just doing a bit slower on Incline Rows (5x15) and Scapular Shrugs. Scap Shrugs because of being learning them and trying to mantain PPT, although I just read from Coach that full PPT is not necessary for Scapular Shrugs. And Incline Rows because I started very close to mastery and I have already mastered, so it was a nice feeling to work it a bit slower, but I will take into account your guidance!

Alessandro Mainente

on Mobility it is completely fine to explore the full range of motion.

Antonio Alías Montoya

Great! Thanks!