This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility Questions

Started by James Kay, December 15, 2016 · 10 Replies · 269 Views

James Kay

Hi guys! I'm new to the forums, have been doing Foundations for a month or two and just purchased the Stretch Series today and did the Middle Split. I struggled a lot with being able to get my upper body to the ground in the butterfly stretch and from straddle and as a result could not do the last stretch, the roll up (?) and instead just held my chest as close to the ground and then pulsed. Also, my straddle is very narrow, but on the wall my hips opened up much further (still less than ideal but much further) which leads me to believe that my issue is in tilting my pelvis and hamstring mobility. Also, it is a struggle for me to even get to my toes in a Jefferson curl. So I was wondering if there's anything I can do to specifically work on these weak areas (if in fact I was correct in my deduction)?  On a side note is it okay to do the Jefferson curl with dumbbells (I'd like to be able to do them at home)? Should I not do the middle split series or substitute something else for the roll ups? 

Also I have some trouble pointing my toes, although I have seen some progress lately. I think the problem is mainly in my calves and about two years ago I sprained my tibialis anterior on my right foot. Is there any specific mobility I can add daily that would help me here as well?

I know this stuff takes time, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to address my specific mobility issues and these are a couple of glaring weaknesses. I have a history of terrible foot/calf and hamstring mobility (for example I couldn't touch my toes in middle school, I'm almost there with a flat back now).

Alessandro Mainente

HI james, listening to your limitation I think that an appropriate combination of front split stretch series can be a good solution. in this case you will emphasize the stretch of all the posterior chain, traps, hamstring , calves, lower back and there is a nice introductory elements covering the ankle limitations (like in your case pointing the toes).

For the butterlfy stretch it depends strongly on how many limitation you have. for me personally, I stayed years only for reaching the floor with the butterfly due to very tight connective tissue in the groin. probably I will spend the same amount of time in order to reach the floor.

Everett Carroll

Hey James,

Do what you can with the stretch courses for now. Over time you will be able to do more and more of them. 

J. Curls are fine with dumbbells. Just be sure to submit a form check to the Foundation One forum. 

The most important piece is what you already mentioned: patience and consistency over time.

 

Suzanna McGee
21 hours ago, James Kay said:

I struggled a lot with being able to get my upper body to the ground in the butterfly stretch

While I am quite flexible in some other areas, this Butterfly thing took me 16 weeks to feel that I can pull my knees down with my glutes… before my adductors were so tight that I could not even move my knees down at all. I was not even thinking about leaning forward :) now it is getting all much looser and I slowly start leaning forward. Be patient. Do what you can do and it will happen, sooner or later. 

James Kay

Did it again. The part that concerns me the most is that I can't really get my back straight and push through very well. Instead of the last stretch I did the earlier stretch where I tried to get my chest as close to the ground in straddle except I used my hands to lightly push against the inside of my calves/thighs which gave me a little leverage to pull my lower back through. My primary concern is that if I can't pull my lower back through then I'm probably not doing the stretches right so no amount of stretching will help me.

 

Will try to get a Jefferson Curl video this next Monday.

James Kay

*but I did the J. Curl with an E-Z curl bar this week (the barbell in my gym had weights on it so I was unsure if someone was coming back for it)

Pauline Taube

Hi James :)

Have you tried to sit on an elevated surface when you do the stretches? This will make it easier to work on the apt.

James Kay
On 12/20/2016 at 6:57 PM, Pauline Taube said:

Hi James :)

Have you tried to sit on an elevated surface when you do the stretches? This will make it easier to work on the apt.

No but I was doing some pranayama today and was sitting on a yoga block and had the same thought

Pauline Taube

Nice, try to do the stretches with the block and let us know how it goes :) 

James Kay

I did them with a yoga block and I was able to get a little bit forward, which to me is a good thing to make sure I'm getting that stretch forward and I'm not fighting to get upright.. Makes it a whole lot easier to relax into the stretch. In the front split serious I notice that I have a seriously hard time with sitting on my ankles and having my feet on the wall, especially my right one which I sprained about two years ago (tibialis posterior) and have always had trouble here. I guess I should try to sit on my ankles more but is there anything else I can make a habit of for that? It can get painful and affect my stretches.

Pauline Taube

Hi James, which stretch in the Front Split series are you referring to? :)