This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Why no rest between sets?

Started by Jonas Berglund, December 14, 2016 · 11 Replies · 687 Views

Jonas Berglund

im curious, what is the reasoning for not resting between sets in the F1 course?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jonas, you have active rest which is mobility. for beginner this is the best solution to teach the body to actively recover in between the sets by stimulating the corresponding energetic system.

Jonas Berglund

Thank you,,that is true but let me rephrase the question. The active rest between sets is very short(time wise). Why is the rest so short between sets?

this is not critique I Actually Love to keep the tempo

up. I just want to know because Other strength Training ive Been into suggest atleast 1min of rest between sets. Pure strength programs even more like 3-5min.

Jon Douglas
1 hour ago, Jonas Berglund said:

Thank you,,that is true but let me rephrase the question. The active rest between sets is very short(time wise). Why is the rest so short between sets?

this is not critique I Actually Love to keep the tempo

up. I just want to know because Other strength Training ive Been into suggest atleast 1min of rest between sets. Pure strength programs even more like 3-5min.

Because those rest periods are for max str, ie max effort.

Rest times like this are used for ring strength training when you are working at high % of maximum. At Foundation level you should not be working at this intensity. We are stacking volume, building mobility and joint prep at this stage. Overloading the muscles when you are using leverage as the method of increasing resistance is only possible when the frame can handle that leverage.

It may subjectively feel like you are at times, and some weak links may fail long before the structure is stressed, but provided each step is mastered correctly you should be working at the correct intensity.

Coach Sommer
5 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Because those rest periods are for max str, ie max effort.

Rest times like this are used for ring strength training when you are working at high % of maximum. At Foundation level you should not be working at this intensity. We are stacking volume, building mobility and joint prep at this stage. Overloading the muscles when you are using leverage as the method of increasing resistance is only possible when the frame can handle that leverage.

It may subjectively feel like you are at times, and some weak links may fail long before the structure is stressed, but provided each step is mastered correctly you should be working at the correct intensity.

Very well said, Jon.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Bailey

I am currently training a few reps of negative hanging leg lifts.

By that 3rd element and its 3rd set, I am hitting 80-90% max heart rate, 8/10 RPE. Very active iM of verticle pike pulls definitely keeps the exertion levels up. In a typical gym setting, this would necessitate a rest to recover between sets. Here.... we do not get that passive rest. So bottom line, these prescriptions are bad-ass... and I think that is why.

Jonas Berglund
23 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Because those rest periods are for max str, ie max effort.

Rest times like this are used for ring strength training when you are working at high % of maximum. At Foundation level you should not be working at this intensity. We are stacking volume, building mobility and joint prep at this stage. Overloading the muscles when you are using leverage as the method of increasing resistance is only possible when the frame can handle that leverage.

It may subjectively feel like you are at times, and some weak links may fail long before the structure is stressed, but provided each step is mastered correctly you should be working at the correct intensity.

I really appreciate the explaination Jon. Knowing the "why's" help me to stay motivated for the program. Thank you.

Jon Douglas

No worries mate :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Is it ever acceptable, though, to take a short rest while adapting or refining form, but to not move up a step until one can perform both PE/SE and iM with no rest at the pace of the follow-along videos. More specifically, that if you can't hit 4x6 of ground rows and the iM with good form without pausing the video or your set (BUT you can handle 3x6 with no rest just fine) then taking resting isn't altogether bad. I know that that is not the end goal nor should it be relied upon with any frequency or consistency. Perhaps, what I'm suggesting might be better seen as a plateau buster, but I found that by resting on sPL/PE2 after doing the PE with the follow-along video and the iM on my own, that I could perfect my form on the iM. I could already do 5x60" no sweat with the follow-along videos' tempo but then going to the iM I was producing crap so by pausing I can focus my energies, and my form is a lot better. Now the task is to increase recovery so that I'm doing sPL/PE2 and its iM with no rest at the pace of the follow-along video, with the same form I was using when I did take a rest. I don't think this would be a necessary nor suggested alteration for every progression as some are certainly easier than others, but I feel like for people who get "stuck" it might be helpful. Thoughts? 

 

Si Hoang

Haha weird Dan. I'd just finished my F7 training and actually incorporated this method for the first time. I've been stuck on FL/PE2 4x24r for months now. Every time I'd reach halfway through my 4th set my technique would suffer and get sloppy and it was frustrating as hell. Today, I decided to take a minute breather and managed to almost complete the reps bar technique failing on the last one. So I would agree it could work as a plateau buster. Once I've got the technique locked in on my final set I'm going to reduce the rest time and see if that works. I didn't fancy spinning my wheels for another few months so wanted to try something else to break through.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I mean, everywhere you read maximum strength training requires longer rest times in order to produce better output. In the scheme of things: GB, our F4 endgame, the perspective of Coach and many others, bent hollow body rocks are not maximum strength by any means. It's a drop in an ocean, really. But, for you, and myself included those movements bring out all the expletives and asterisks. So, in my head, it would make sense to first get the strength to do good sets (be it at Step 1 or Step 9) and then get the rest to where it needs to be (read: zero, beyond the iM). Of course, in a perfect world, you would be knocking out reps and sets like a stud, but in order to get there sometimes plateaus need to be broken. Good luck on powering through. 

Wayne Smith

At the moment I am on full squats.  I'm feeling like the PE is actually the rest period from the mobility!!!  :D