This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lower Back pain

Started by Dustin Baucom, December 13, 2016 · 6 Replies · 178 Views

Dustin Baucom

I have completed Fundamentals and have started Foundations One (1 week in). I'm taking things fairly slowly as I am about 25-30 lbs overweight (also doing Thrive) and have led a sedentary office life for the last 10 years. I also recently added a standing desk at the office which allows me to sit or stand as I like.

I am experiencing lower back pain near L4/L5. It seems to be bone on bone and doesn't feel like a muscle strain. It is most exaggerated during the seal stretch and shoulder bridge in the daily limber. Will this go away, or should I be concerned? Treatment?

Leo Trinidad

Hi
@Dustin Baucom, 

I would suggest that you stop doing all the exercises that causes the pain. Take it easy and just do the exercises which doesn't cause the pain. After a week, you may try testing on going into the seal stretch and if you still feel the same then i would suggest that you seek medical assistance.

Natawat Thanomsat

I do have this similar symptom too.  I went to a physical therapist and she said it was probably a problem with the facet joints (the 4 joints on each vertibra that are covered with cartilege for smooth gliding when you flex/extend your spine).  Due to age and repetitive movement, especially lumbar flexion, the cartileges can degenerate and cause your vertibrae to rub against each other, bone-to-bone. I speak about this from my case, who have spent years sitting, standing, and moving with anterior pelvic tilt (APT), which causes excess lumbar kyphosis (inward curvature in lower back).  I can do back bending in yoga class without any problem because I overextend my lumbar spine to go into a bridge, but my thoracic spine is stil very stiff.  I ended up injuring my lumbar when I try to do backbends.

I would suggest you to strengthen your gluteal muscles and your lower abdominals, so they put your hip into a more posterior tilt (PPT), loosen your hip flexors (and lower back if it does not hurt to gently palpate), spend time to mobilize your thoracic spine, mostly on extension.  I'm quite sure that either your upper back is rounded to compensate for your lumbar, or your hips shift forward.  

When you go to sleep, put a pillow underneath your knees, so your lower back does not arch too much.

It is also very wise to go to a chiropractor, orthopedist, or physical therapist to assess what's going on with your back.  They know these stuffs.  It's their career. :)

I did visit a chiropractor who...um, yank my legs to put more space between vertibrae to alleviate my symptoms. :/  Felt better almost instantly. Take my advices ith a grain of salt though.

Coach Sommer

Hello Dustin,

Great question.  

The answer is simple, you are currently too deconditioned/tight for full range of motion work in the seal stretch and shoulder bridge.

My recommendation is:

1) for the moment remove the shoulder bridge entirely from your daily limber and begin slowly working your way thru the GB Thoracic Bridge series.  This will greatly increase your upper back mobility and begin decreasing the load on your lower back.  Don't try to train the entire series immediately; initially just complete the series up to the point where you are comfortable.

2) modify your seal stretch so that you support yourself on your forearms/elbows.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Dustin Baucom

Thank you, all.  @Natawat Thanomsat, you described my posterior perfectly.  I, too, have moved with APT all of my life and have a pretty exaggerated rounded upper back.  I had on my to-do list today to call my chiropractor to get in for a PT session. @Coach Sommer, I appreciate your reply.  I'll follow your suggestions within the workouts.

Dustin Baucom
13 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Dustin,

Great question.  

The answer is simple, you are currently too deconditioned/tight for full range of motion work in the seal stretch and shoulder bridge.

My recommendation is:

1) for the moment remove the shoulder bridge entirely from your daily limber and begin slowly working your way thru the GB Thoracic Bridge series.  This will greatly increase your upper back mobility and begin decreasing the load on your lower back.  Don't try to train the entire series immediately; initially just complete the series up to the point where you are comfortable.

2) modify your seal stretch so that you support yourself on your forearms/elbows.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

@Coach Sommer I purchased the Thoracic Bridge series this evening. It appears to be one 40 minute video. Your suggestion was to work slowly through it. Should I simply do an exercise at a time each day I choose to do TB? Or should I attempt to go through the entire video but at a pace and intensity that suits my current conditioning/mobility? (Or I could be confused as to what I'm viewing.)

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Dustin,

Great question. You should follow the entire video as best you can in terms of pace. You should begin the course with a low level of intensity. As you improve and you body becomes better adapted to these exercises, you may increase the intensity. At first you may not be able to complete the entire session. This is okay. Your ability to stretch for longer periods of time will increase as you improve.

That being said, remember that stretching is never supposed to be a 'workout', while you should work hard on your stretches, you should not be overly aggressive.