This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, December 13, 2016 · 10 Replies · 112 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

These don't even really feel hard anymore. I'm also not sure what else to do to improve upon them, as I'm convinced that this PE is mastered. I'm using an 8lb dumbbell on the iM, though I know 5lbs is all that is needed for mastery. I've started doing straddle and pike leg raises, as well as bent straddle leg extensions to work on ROM and strength for PE2 since the tuck-ups are kind of boring for me now. Let me know what sticks out to your eye, if anything or if I can move on instead of feeling like I'm spinning my wheels.

 

Thanks. 

 

 

Ryan Bailey

Way to work man, good progress!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Finally on PE2 for all Foundation elements. It's only taken me two years :lol:

Suzanna McGee

The good thing about being stuck on these for so long is that you got beauuuuuuutiful windmills :D 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
21 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

The good thing about being stuck on these for so long is that you got beauuuuuuutiful windmills :D 

Yeah, and they'll only get prettier. Looking to work up to 10% bodyweight on these.

Greg White

Nice compression. 

Did you add any consistent specific work for compression or just the Tucks Ups (and FS or MS)?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Just the tuck ups really. I made sure to kiss my chest with my legs on each rep though. That was key. When starting off, that was hard to do for all the reps but it enforced good form and led me to master the PE rather quickly. The iM was my stalling point on these. I've been doing 5x15 for a couple months now.

Greg White
1 hour ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Just the tuck ups really. I made sure to kiss my chest with my legs on each rep though. That was key. When starting off, that was hard to do for all the reps but it enforced good form and led me to master the PE rather quickly. The iM was my stalling point on these. I've been doing 5x15 for a couple months now.

Your PE form looks excellent to me.

Since I started Tuck Ups I've squeezed my flexors at the top but after a year my compression isn't good. I'm hoping that the MS series will help but it seems this is more a strength issue than a range of motion issue? I've tried compression drills but without any real consistency. I know F1 is about the patience but i would rather not be doing Tuck Ups for another year.  Having said that I think with your compression you may have a head start in Straddle Ups.

Alessandro Mainente

HI Daniel, you can move on.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
9 minutes ago, Greg White said:

Your PE form looks excellent to me.

Since I started Tuck Ups I've squeezed my flexors at the top but after a year my compression isn't good. I'm hoping that the MS series will help but it seems this is more a strength issue than a range of motion issue? I've tried compression drills but without any real consistency. I know F1 is about the patience but i would rather not be doing Tuck Ups for another year.  Having said that I think with your compression you may have a head start in Straddle Ups.

 

Not to come across the wrong way, but do you have any extra weight around the belly? Also, how is your pike flexibility? The MSs is great, but I've found that the activation for tuckups of the hip flexors isn't so intense that you need to worry about compression drills to master it. They might help, sure, but they also might be overkill. 

 

Another thing I did was, and this was pointed out by forum coaches, is that my knees initially were at a 90-degree angle, I slowly decreased that from 90 to 45, to maybe like 20 (with the hamstrings and calves touching). I found that bringing the lower leg closer to the thigh in the 'tuck' makes the movement hard as it put a strain on my quads. So maybe try not tucking as hard at first? Does that make sense? So, trying to bring the thighs to the chest on each rep (for whatever step you're at) mastering that form up to Step 9, then slowly working on making the tuck more compressed (knees to chest, ankles closer to the butt). I hope that helps, good luck. 

Greg White
2 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Not to come across the wrong way, but do you have any extra weight around the belly? Also, how is your pike flexibility? The MSs is great, but I've found that the activation for tuckups of the hip flexors isn't so intense that you need to worry about compression drills to master it. They might help, sure, but they also might be overkill. 

 

Another thing I did was, and this was pointed out by forum coaches, is that my knees initially were at a 90-degree angle, I slowly decreased that from 90 to 45, to maybe like 20 (with the hamstrings and calves touching). I found that bringing the lower leg closer to the thigh in the 'tuck' makes the movement hard as it put a strain on my quads. So maybe try not tucking as hard at first? Does that make sense? So, trying to bring the thighs to the chest on each rep (for whatever step you're at) mastering that form up to Step 9, then slowly working on making the tuck more compressed (knees to chest, ankles closer to the butt). I hope that helps, good luck. 

Im OK around the belly, no excess weight to worry about (although with Christmas approaching......). Hmmm but I do wonder about my upper quads as they stick out a fair bit  and hit my lower abs which may affect it? Pancake with APT isnt great, i'd been doing MS for couple of months but hadnt bothered to watch the form vids so ive only recently started to use APT properly so i'm hoping to see some improvements.

Cheers for the other pointers, they do make sense. I'll compare my form checks to yours so I can see if the differences. 

Thanks !