This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Total Strength Going Down But Movement Improving

Started by Daniel Miles, December 12, 2016 · 4 Replies · 294 Views

Daniel Miles

Hi!

Just wanted to share my results and feelings on my GB journey so far and see how that compares to others. 

Ive really enjoyed every minute of it so far and learning to be patient has been one of the biggest wins for me in all of this. Whenever I lose a little motivation or spirit I listen to Coach and Tim Ferris' podcast and that fires me back up! I'm currently working through Foundation 1, All stretch series and Handstand 1. Been doing them now consistently around 6-8 months and see huge improvements in movement, flexibility and core endurance. Especially Shoulder Extension and spinal flexion! 

Obviously a lot of foundation one focusses on improving work capacity and endurance. With this in mind, I feel like I've lost total strength. Pull ups went from 10 to 6 and dips from 10 to 4-5. Is this a normal thing to happen? I assume it is when outright strength isn't being trained. However, one thing I have noticed is that although my numbers are down the way in which I do the movement has improved massively. With my increase in ROM for shoulder extension has come with 'cleaner' dips. Same with pull ups and scapular mobility as well as overhead mobility. 

I always get a little tempted to start working on the lower rep ranges for strength but have to reel it back in and remember to stay patient, Im assuming there is a time for those later down the line in foundation courses. 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

If your previous 10 pull ups used a different tempo and range of motion than your 6 pull ups. You now are requiring your body to develop additional strength to complete the tasks you give it.

Your strength will improve as your tendons continue to develop and gradually need more muscle fibers to attach to. The majority of strength high level gymnasts have comes from the tendons. The human body itself will only develop just enough strength to handle the tasks it is given on a regular basis.

Antonio Alías Montoya

It happens the same to me, but I this is not something one should bother about it. Before I wasn t using a perfect form with the maximal rom and I was using momentum. My biceps and lats are growing more now with rows than when I was doing 10 pull ups and curls, so why to bother! If one is not able to do 5x15 push ups for example, will be our shoulders prepared for dips load? I don t think so. In my case i always try to have faith in what I follow and see the results with time. We should believe in the program in an early stage and give yourself to it. So many people say it s so good and that is has been good for them, it must be true! Let s work as the coach want us to work! I trust him! :)

Good luck and as you say, stay patient. In don t even want to know what exercises are in F2, F3 or F4 and not even too much what are my next progressions in F1. I also prefer not to know how long people has taken to finish F1 or F4 or a certain progression, this actually does not help me at all, and just make want to run. We must work and work properly and consistenly, let the time do it s own job. (This is kind of telling to myself, hahahha). 

Coach Sommer

Hello Daniel,

Good question, however this not really anything to be concerned about.  

Your strength before starting F1 was moderate and F1 elements are all beginning level GST.  As you progress thru the Foundation series you will find plenty to challenge you strength wise.  But for now, it you would like to maintain your previous strength levels while you address your core and mobility deficits; simply add a maintenance set of pull-ups and dips occasionally at the end of a F1 workout.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Malcolm Watters
20 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Daniel,

Good question, however this not really anything to be concerned about.  

Your strength before starting F1 was moderate and F1 elements are all beginning level GST.  As you progress thru the Foundation series you will find plenty to challenge you strength wise.  But for now, it you would like to maintain your previous strength levels while you address your core and mobility deficits; simply add a maintenance set of pull-ups and dips occasionally at the end of a F1 workout.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

lol that's a good one coach, I can barely unhook my rings the bar after a f7 workout much less throw in a set of pull ups.