This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL-PE3 Form Check

Started by Josh Shaw, December 12, 2016 · 15 Replies · 216 Views

Josh Shaw

At the very least, I think I need to stick with these to work up my endurance, as I'm not holding my starting position for the entire set.  How is my starting position though?  My apologies for the lighting on the iM.  The lighting is the same as in the PE, but because of the angle I have to record from, the light coming from the curtains make it super dark. 

 

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

Your starting position on your PE is not bad. You are doing a nice job of hitting protraction and PT. I would, however, like to see more lean. The hands should be placed between the belly button and the hips on this exercise. Also, as you get further into your set you lose both your protraction and PPT.

Remember that proper form should always be considered before number of sets and reps. I recommend going back to Step 1 for this exercise to make sure that you can build the lean necessary to move on. Once you can lean enough to get the hands between your belly button and hips while at the same time maintaining protraction and PPT, you may move on to the next step. This is an essential step in your planche preparation. If you do not build strength in the correct position now, you will soon hit a road-block in your planche training.

Your iM, from what I can see, looks pretty good. I would like to see more elevation of the legs on some of your reps. Also, make sure to completely extend the legs until the knees are locked on all of your reps. Please take another video of this iM from another angle with better lighting so that we can be sure we are not missing anything that may impede your training later.

Josh Shaw

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm confused.  I fully agree with your comment on the loss of protraction and PPT, but I don't understand where the comments about lean are coming from.  I didn't remember there being a lot of lean on this PE, so I went back and watched the videos.  On both the original video and the technique tip video, the athlete's arm is completely vertical, so compared to that I am leaning too much.  I am on sPL-PE3, which is the straight arm plank.  Your comments seem to be geared towards the  planche lean, which is sPL-PE5.  Am I right?  

 

I will get another video with better lighting on the iM next time.  

Josh Shaw

I dropped back to step 5 to work on my endurance and making sure I'm not losing any protraction or PPT throughout the set.  I did not work on getting more lean per my comment above (I think Jeffrey Bitner's comments above relate to planche leans, not straight arm planche).  I also got a shot of the iM in better lighting.

 

 

Andrew Long

they have simply confused spl pe3 with spl pe5.  probably because form checks for spl pe5 are so common.  that would be where the lean comment came from.

Pauline Taube

Hi Josh :)

Your straight arm plank look solid. 

For the im, remember to not move your hips. You only going to extend the legs without lifting your hips up. Legs should be at the same height as the hips, not above 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Josh, considering the nature of the position, the support on the instep and the diagonal line of the body I expect from you that hips are lower than shoulder during the execution.

Andrew Long

in saying that josh my opinion of the hold is you are rounding your back a lot which gives the illusion of more protraction.  it is tough to see with the shirt but id say it looks alright but if it were me id aim for a touch more protraction and it looks a little piked at the hips but again hard to tell.

Josh Shaw

After a month or so of practice, I think I'm almost there.  I think I could use a bit more protraction, or least maintain my starting level of protraction better, but I think my body line is a lot better.

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

You are showing solid improvement. Your protraction looks much better. Like you said, as you get tired you begin to lose protraction. Keep working it!

You iM also looks much better. You are doing a better job of keeping the hips stable as you extend the legs. I would like to see your feet a bit higher as you extend your legs. In your video you can see that they drop below hip level. Keep working on holding them higher.

Nice work, keep it up!

Josh Shaw

A few more weeks of work... how does it look?  Ready to move on to PE4?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

I can't get your video to play. Can you double check your link?

Josh Shaw

My bad, when I uploaded the video, I set it to private instead of unlisted.  Should work now.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

No problem! Thanks for double checking.

Good improvement. Your iM looks good, awesome job. Your PE still needs a bit more work. You are still losing quite a bit of protraction by the end of your set. At this point in your training it may seem like a tiny detail that isn't particularly relevant to this exercise, but as you progress it will become essential to your progress.

Keep working at it. You're super close!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Josh, form it is good, try thold the quality of the PE along the set.

IM needs refinement, I would like to see the heels at the same height of the knees at the same height of the hips at the same moment. this means that the hips extension reaches the maximum only when knees extension reaches the 180°.

Josh Shaw

I've taken a few videos that I wasn't happy with, but I think this is better.