Vegan Paleo for the Lent.

Started by ebenezer, January 23, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,575 Views

ebenezer

Hi everyone,

I loosely follow the Paleo diet and trying to get strictly into it. But I have a problem now as with the Lent season is starting from the 15th of Feb, I would not be able to eat until the 1st of April for religious reasons and hence would substitute it all only with ceasin and whey protein powders. Is this sensible to do for 46 days or I should be doing something else? Thanks for any inputs.

Warm regards,

Ebenezer

Razz

Sorry for being sorta ignorant on this area, but what exactly are you not allowed to eat?

ebenezer

Dear Razz,

I would not be able to eat any meat inclusive of fish, chicken, lamb and also eggs. Basically I can have milk, nuts, veggies and pulses. Whey and casein is ok as it's from milk. Thanks for the interest.

Warm regards,

Ebenezer

Razz

this thread may help

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1106

however all the rice protein mike mahler recommends is probably better replaced by whey and casein since you are allowed to eat that :)

ebenezer

Dear Razz, Thank you for the input.

Warm regards

ebenezer

Ryan Libke

I was always very wary of representations that a vegetarian diet could be sufficient for supporting strength training. Now, I am more open to the idea, especially after altering my diet to address cancer (fortunately, a treatable form, but cancer nonetheless). Provided that a person educates themselves, I think many people can build and maintain strong muscle without eating meat, especially if they can supplement with whey. Just like with those eating meat, nutrient timing is helpful, especially relative to the workout. It might take a bit more discipline, but that seems in accord with the spiritual practice, anyway.

ASForum
Wolf with one Ear said:
I was always very wary of representations that a vegetarian diet could be sufficient for supporting strength training. Now, I am more open to the idea, especially after altering my diet to address cancer (fortunately, a treatable form, but cancer nonetheless). Provided that a person educates themselves, I think many people can build and maintain strong muscle without eating meat, especially if they can supplement with whey. Just like with those eating meat, nutrient timing is helpful, especially relative to the workout. It might take a bit more discipline, but that seems in accord with the spiritual practice, anyway.

Interesting. What practice do you do as such?

Ryan Libke

I was referring to what I understand to be one of the foundational purposes of Lent, which is to not only give up that which is not truly necessary, but also to build one's discpline in the process, and to incorporate the lesson of the experience into one's spirituality, which is to say that its effect is not confined to the actual time period of Lent. That is, if meat is what you crave and think you need, going without it may present some insight, or may take some degree of restraint or control that may present a new challenge. Just like giving up television, which I have never been able to do. I would not pretend to have much expertise on Lent, or the variations of observing it. I just suggest that it is indeed possible to forego meat for that time period, that such forebearance could be a means to focus one's faith, if a person so chooses, and that if indeed there were any temporary loss of strength, muscle, or vitality relative to a exercise training program because of the change of diet, it should be put into the proper perspective of that person's chosen faith. I am not aware of any spiritual tradition which values muscular strength or mass over the strength of one's spirit, one's faith, or one's compassion.