This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single Bar Dips - Awkward

Started by Scott Siegel 115428, December 12, 2016 · 6 Replies · 223 Views

Scott Siegel 115428

Just starting the foundation 2, hbp/pe7 aka. single bar dips. I wanted to check in to make sure I'm executing these properly as they feel a bit strange from a balance perspective.  As I lower to the bar my body weight and feet move forward out in front of the bar.... which make it really difficult to maintain form when trying to get my chest down to the bar.  Is there something I'm missing with these or is this really the correct bottom position and i just need to keep working it? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Scott

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Scott the best thing you have to do it is post a video with a couple of reps with both front view and side view if possible.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Your feet are going to swing forward some. Counter balancing is part of physics  If you watch the feet of the gymnast in the course video you will notice his feet swing forward some as well.

Beyond contracting the muscles of your shoulder girdle throughout the range of motion there is not much one can do to prevent our body from counter balancing itself. 

If counter balancing is allowable with HBP/PE9 and HBP/PE10. Why not with HBP/PE7 and HBP/PE8?

In regards to tips... Watch the course videos several times for details, when you questions about your form. Coach Sommer has stated on several occasions that the course videos demonstrate what is required for mastery.

Scott Siegel 115428

thanks for the replies... I can see in the PE video his feet does travel forward a bit... hard to tell just how much because the video is shot from the front.  Here's is the video of me trying them this morning.  I feel like im hunching over a bit too much.  Feedback please.  Thanks!

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Granted I am making dips harder, than the mastery standard, on myself for more strength later...
When possible and the range of motion allows it, I do my best to hold hollow body position while I:

1) keep my elbows close to my sides throughout the range of motion. (Which is not seemingly required for mastery)
2) externally rotate my upper arms while flexing my triceps. (Which is not seemingly required for mastery)
3) fully depress my scapula(shoulder blades) at the top support position.  

To get rid of the hunched over feeling... You will need to strengthen your scapular depression muscles. 

Beyond what I have stated, I'll let other mention what they see.

Everett Carroll

Hey Scott,

Good advice from Rayne-William. 

1) Do your best maintain a hollow shape.

2) Your feet will come in front of the bar but do your best to keep a straight body. 

3) Go deeper on each rep. 

Scott Siegel 115428

Thanks for the detailed responses folks.  Ill keep working at holding hollow position and depressing scaps to see if i can improve the form.  I see a lot of people cheat these by either cutting the range of motion short or by lean the chest forward on to the bar.  ill spend more time with these and then post again.  thanks all.