This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

3 x foundation workouts in one day?

Started by Paul Moran, December 12, 2016 · 10 Replies · 373 Views

Paul Moran

Hi all. Just bought the foundation course and did my first workout (core). Following the suggested schedule I only do core, lower and upper body once per week. I'm wondering if it's ok to do all 3 on one day, 3x per week? I'm sure at some point this will become impractical as the workouts get harder, but while I'm just starting off is this ok? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Paul my suggestion here it is that, if you have 3 days, to do the upper part 2 times a week , with the lower+core session in between the 2 upper sessions.

Coach Sommer

Hello Paul,

My recommendation is, if you have extra time available, to use that time to first concentrate on correcting your mobility deficits.  This will pay HUGE dividends later as you reach the more advanced GST elements.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Tanya Hill

Paul, 

I personally experience huge GST improvements when I spend quality time addresses mobility. Excellent tip from Coach, Id definitely spend the extra time stretching out where needed. 

Leo Trinidad

Paul,

I totally agree with Alessandro, Coach and Tanya. 

Strength goes hand in hand with mobility but better prioritize your mobility deficits. The earlier you address it, the better your progress will be. 

Paul Moran

Wow, awesome response from the team, thank you.

Ok cool, mobility is where it's at then. I'll put the extra time into that. Do you recommend just more time spent on the prescribed mobility in my programme, or is there any other mobility work I can do? I already do a lot of foam roller/lacrosse ball/stretching (been following Kelly Starret's supple leopard programme for about 2 years), and my main reason for purchasing GB is to have a healthy, flexible and balanced body. Looking to add a couple of stretch courses after Xmas (when funds allow).

Alessandro Mainente

You can evaluate s Stretch series program which can address specifically your weak point. can you say something more about your deficit? if you lack generally on middle split, pike/front split and shoulder I recommend for an healthy life to address first the posterior chain.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 12/12/2016 at 6:01 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Paul my suggestion here it is that, if you have 3 days, to do the upper part 2 times a week , with the lower+core session in between the 2 upper sessions.

 

Would it be appropriate to ever alternate that schedule, @Alessandro Mainente? I know that you have said the Upper body elements train the core, while the core elements do not train bent arm strength. I was wondering if doing an A/B/A//B/A/B/ approach would work as was suggested at another point in time long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away; or if I should merely keep it as 2x upper and 1x core. Thanks.

Also, I find that working my lower body 2x-3x really helps with mobility of the lower joints any immediate concerns in doing that?

Paul Moran
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

You can evaluate s Stretch series program which can address specifically your weak point. can you say something more about your deficit? if you lack generally on middle split, pike/front split and shoulder I recommend for an healthy life to address first the posterior chain.

Thanks Alessandro. I know I suck at middle splits for sure, but not too sure about front splits or shoulder mobility. I'll evaluate the courses and see where I'm at.

Alessandro Mainente

it depends on your weak points, personally core and legs responds easier compared to the upper basically because the core and legs are daily used for their purpose (long work) like in the F1, on the contrary no one here uses the biceps or triceps or shoulders in the range they should be trained at the beginning. on harder template like 5x5 once a week still produces progress but a bit slowly. if you want to ensure a full recovery the 3 times in 2 week it is a possible solution.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

it depends on your weak points, personally core and legs responds easier compared to the upper basically because the core and legs are daily used for their purpose (long work) like in the F1, on the contrary no one here uses the biceps or triceps or shoulders in the range they should be trained at the beginning. on harder template like 5x5 once a week still produces progress but a bit slowly. if you want to ensure a full recovery the 3 times in 2 week it is a possible solution.

Excellent thanks. I see your point better now.